Thread: Palm screen!

Default Palm screen!

I stumbled across this site: PalmOrb

PalmOrb is software that allows you to use your PalmOS device as a LCD status display for your computer! You can display system stats (such as: CPU load graphs, CPU temperatures, free disk space), news alerts, stock indexes, WinAmp graphs, etc.
    Yumm. I'm sure it wouldn't be too much harder to completely mount the thing right into a computer case? I'm highly considering attempting this project as my first involved case mod with my m105 that's been hiding in my room for the past 3 or 4 years. Of course, I might have to chop and older case because I haven't decided if I'm going to touch my $150 Silverstone TJ05S-X yet.

Super Secret Agent

Default Re: Palm screen!

I played with this, and it works kinda. Reasons I would not use it particularly...

1. A LCD is a pretty cheap purchase (Ebay is a good source, lots of hong kong places sell them cheap and deliver to the world)

2. You have to load up palm orb onto it if you switch it off and on again.

3. It doesn't make much use of the features of the palm screen... I'll bet there must be a better way of using the palm in a case.

Saying that I had an old palm101 to try it on.. I may have been more impressed with a different palm screen

By all means play with it, it only served to inspire me to try out an LCD... Which then in turn inspired me to do the psone screen mod. I think anything less than tft is cheating yourself now.
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably hold off on this then.

I got a Palm TX, and I don't think I will be pulling it apart anytime soon. lmao.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Super Secret Agent

If you have the palm already, I would certainly have a play with it, see what you think. Its a good way to try out software such as smartie to see if you want to go down the lcd route

On checking it was actually a m105 that I tried it on. The backlight was not very bright and I could not get that many lines to work. I think the best I accomplished was a very big clock.

I may sound negative, but I am not... It really opened my understanding of the whole second screen thing.

The LCD mod is a good one to do. Its not very hard to accomplish, gets a useful result and even a 20x4 character display gives loads of scope for displaying information.

The psone screen mod IMHO is the daddy however. But it eats clock cycles far harder than running a character lcd. That has turned out to be an issue for me, but one I am determined to overcome.

To give you an idea of where it took my imagination... PC playstation hybrid

This project was in the planning when I tried Palm orb. Made me really think about what I wanted from the case facia. Palm orb in a way indirectly defined the front facia. I have some updateing to do as I have redone the facia again... I'm not giving too much away...
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles