Page 1 of 32 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Project N0NAME

D'Oh

Default Project N0NAME

hello... this is my first real mod... had tweeked before, learnt a lot about cooling and stuff...
    read , read, read and read... did a lot of scenarios and tried to get aesthetics and "performance" in 3ds. now, i'm ready to do what i did on virtual paper. i have the raw materials: aluminum sheets, mesh, filters, electronic doodads, a bit of acrylic... and other things i have no use rught now for basicaly, i'll be posting pix tomorrow of what i have and what i've done.

today, i cut a few holes in the plastic front panel, did some sanding and exactoknife trimmimg... and did a first coat of red glossy paint. i have to wait for it to dry completely to sand it some more... and more coats to come.

i'll also work on the mesh model for the intake. also, i'll "virtually" work on the electronic part of my rig, so as not only fans(first idea), but lights (except the ccfl) draw power from one place... one nifty lil place if everything works out...

why am i doing this? (i know, nobody asks... but i have a voice...probablly my mom... that asks each an every time) because i wanna learn how to solder, cut metal and maybe work with car body filler, for a more serious mod... so, i need xp

hope somebody will be watchin me and tell me if i do something wrong...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

D'Oh

Default Re: Project N0NAME

...so, this is the pic gallery :)

before...

actually, this is after i did some modding before i joined tbcs forums... i did a couple of cuts, holes in the plastic... fidgeted a lil with pots and resistors.. had just one custom made fan hole... and that was made with force, no cutting tools... further covered by a nice round mesh.

But now, after i read a whole week and was astouned by the quality and creativity of the mods done here... well... i always had ideas, never had guts(enough guts, that is... :) )

sooo.... here is what i've done now...

(the green shade is defenetly from the camera, lg 3g phone...the only cam i got.. around.. at all :( )

oh..not to forget... some other thingies from the ol' days:

(painted with red paint, not with red tape...although i could say it looks like that... :)) )

Now, for the modding i am doin'

these are some raw materials... plus the x-files heatsink which could cool a 2000W mosfet, maybe for PA amps.. ?!?!?.. i don know..i'd like to incorporate this in the mod, have no idea.. open to suggestions..

the piece on the righ is already cut to fit my case and will be the base for the fan&light control panel.

i'm using the smaller mesh for the front intake and for the drive covers... the smallest one, donated by a pair of speakers, the model i've been using for a few months now, acts as a dust-bunny cacther... i like black, not dull gray... so i need bigger holes and an internal filter.. which i'll do too... i have some copper mesh, very very fine... no pics of it, as it looks like the thing you use on windows/doors to make mosquitos lifes miserable..oh yeah.. but this is made of copper (expensive!) and is finer. of course, all the things i have now are free, got by my dad.

and now, the painting ritual...

oh, here i have some questions for more experienced painters... how crappy is this gonna be without primer? i'm now going on the 3rd coat to get a flatter shinier surface... i'm doing baby steps right now...

unfortunatelly, for me, i have only 1 red paint can left... so the only color of choice is... red

..and now, a test to see if things look better than white :) (i painted the buttons black..they were deep blue, but plastic deep blue..bleah.. black is so much better)

i think it looks good, althoug the paint has a stranger color in this pics.. its absolutely red in real life, no pinks, no weird lighting.. i can almost see myself after the 2nd coat... pictured above... i'm waitin for the paint to get harder so to sand some things...

on another side, the window awaits! for now, i must draw somethin nice to be cut in the side panel, but also practical: more viewing/etching area, but scres must stil clamp into something :)

the inside area will, of course, be cut away... but i needed this paper model so i could transfer the shape of the cut on the metal panel, which i do use right now :) i'm thinking of doing the window in 3 layers: black lexan on the outside(must find some first...maybe then i'll scrape other ideas off my mod-list), the 3mm hand-etched acrylic with lots of holes (the only window i have) and a filter inside, covering the entire panel (for EMI shielding?!...neah, ligh effects :D ), maybe from copper wire mesh or from hex-mesh, painted black...

don't know yet...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

D'Oh

weekend pause... but i did get a few things done.. mainly, i'm making progress with the design of the control panel (this is how i'll call it now... funny... i have a few ideas to trully make it a control panel.. hihi), the electrical part and the parts i'll be choosing. i'm still not sure wheter to use RCA or phone connectors... it's more about what i find in shops.. i want cromed ones, but if they are to expensive or...aren't... well, i'll make do without..

hmm... the duct for the V12 is going strong! i have a use for the aluminum sheets... plus, with a frosted plexi cover... cool... i hope...

and! if i have it, why not use it? i'm going for RAM heatspreders too. the thick aluminum will be perfect either for mirror polishing or cutting some fins in it... i can basically make a 1mm thick base and have 1.5 mm fins... not as big as i want 'em, but... if i buy more ram, they'll fit in the slots...

the red paint.... well, kinda went bad... i don't like it for two reasons: 1) it's red 2) it's too thick and the can is empty... but i got a bit of xpirience...1

still, i have a design pic for the circuitry.. this is beta1..think i'll call it longhor.. neah )

...looks...pink...nice job though I like to window to be. I have alway been a fan of "out of the usual" windows.

D'Oh

thanks aero... heck, about the red... i hate it. although, in real life it's red like a ferarri... i hate it... doesn't go that well with blue lights... and! i don't like red... maybe i'll keep for 2 or 3 days, but as soon as i get black paint! it's gonna be black and blue.

the window.. hmm... i used that full-size model to sketch the locations of the fan hole, lower vent and the access cut for the switches (which i should be able to push at all times. no lans here, so no pb with "intruders"). plus, i've got more room for flames and transparency...

and now, some pics... these are a cry for help. i'm not sure whether this is worthy of my aluminum piece... i like it, it's highly functional... but it needs something... i'm not sure what..

D'Oh

...and this is the schematic for the new fan and light controller:

Fresh Paint

It looks interesting, but your diagram is confusing me. maybe you shoud try using some CAD software or Corel Draw. To be clear the schematic must be drawn with straight lines and straight angles ... so we can folow the circuit :p

D'Oh

..i'm back.. i had a few problems with my rig, cause i broke the power button... but i didn't know that of course and i was this close to buy another psu... then i saw that the wire connecting to the button was terribly flexible..hmm.. pb solved.. still, while i was deprived of my pc, i made a new aluminum panel for replacing the old one. this is much better than cutting the old, cause as we all know, factory panels have weird guides on the bach whish shouldn't be cut. so, the new window/panel will be probably have some hinges, will be sturdier and will have another type of cut, but very similar to the later. and luck seems to have struck me. there is a car factory nearby using a plasma cutter... so... maybe, just maybe... i actually did give them the design this morning and hopefully, in a few days... for free... i'll have a new panel.

tudop, you're right. this is not very clear. i'll make a new drawing, using max, but beware(to myself).. it won't be less complicated. it requires multiple layers, so...

D'Oh

soo... new schematics, hope they are better.. for the sake of my time and your minds, leds are not included in the schm... basicly, they are wired in parallel with the final conector, with a resistor in series with them. leds only apply for fans... no need for leds to show led activity..

D'Oh

... got more aluminum sheets cut to size... i figured out that 2.5mm al is too thick for my case right now... and i have no tools powerfull enough to make the cutting "efortless"... too bad... it feels so nice, especially when polished with 600grit and water... so i got 1mm plates. i will replace the front 120mm mounting board i made from acrylic. it will hopefully prove to be better at fixing the fan, cause this is more elaborate. and i have a piece of al made just for the cpu duct. i have to wait until monday for some drilling machines and a table... heck i forgat how it's called.. ) .. the thing you clamp stuff with.. )

i also hope to have more time with the camera phone... cause i "finished" painting the front cover.. black and red... it has been wet-sanded to a flat red look... cause i paint really bad... or maybe the can is to blame! )

oooh... question for those who use meshing.. how do you get large mesh screens to stay in place... without screws or similar? basically, mesh+plastic?