Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Featured: Project : V for Vendetta

Overclocked

Default Re: Project : V for Vendetta

is the mask just going to stick out? would it look cooler if you had a window for it, and mounted it on the inside. possibly a fog machine and some explosives for effect inside the window (partitioned off from the rest of the case).
    i think it would look pretty sweet, but im sure no matter what way you take this mod it will look as if alan moore had a hand in creating it himself.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Noobish, but Trying.

Ok I know I said I would post this yesterday, but it was late and I was tired so it got delayed a bit.

NocturnaL: Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crimson Sky

The best solution would be to run a dedicated PCI card for the monitor. If he chooses a VGA 7" monitor, only an older PCI card would allow for the low screen res that is probably required by the monitor. On a composite signal, desktops look like ass, and you cant use the touchscreen functions, if it happens to be a touch.

Indeed, im currently modding one of those portable play station 1 LCD's. The soldering would usually suck, but i rigged it to an IDE cable that plugs into the designated PCI card i found.

The case looks great man, rugged as hell. Will probly look 10x better with a nice black powder coat as you said. And heres an idea for the mask you have. mayb stick some red LED's behind it causing the eyes to glow red?

And may i ask how much that case you bought was? looks like it made a good investment
    As to the question of what's going to drive the 7" LCD, I haven't quite decided that yet. It isn't a touch screen, and it's native existance is as a 7" widescreen TV with composite in (looks like svideo in the pics) So I'll have to wait 'till it arrives and disassemble it to find out what drives the LCD itself. It's a 1480 x 234 Active Matrix TFT LCD so I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to splice a VGA connection in there somewhere, but as a back up plan I can run it in composite mode as I only need it mainly to display Time/Temps/Fan Speeds and the like.

The case I bought was $39.90CDN after the tax man took his share, I think it was a good deal considering the work that it saved me and the bonus items I got.

For the mask, yes I've considered backlighting the eyes so they glow but I haven't decided yet. I'll prolly play with it and see how the effect grabs me, and whether or not it blends with the lighting from below the mask.

DaveW: That's a pretty big computer! Didn't realise it was so large.
    Yeah it's pretty big (26" wide x 12" deep from the very front x 24" high), but due to some inefficiencies in the design/shape of the case the front section is mostly un-usable except for cosmetic purposes, so it's still a challenge to fit everything in and guaranty good airflow and esthetics at the same time. It's a learning experience to say the least.

Thanks all of you again for the wonderfull comments and encouragement.

Now on to the pics of yesterdays work ...

First I didn't light the pic I got yesterday of the case front mock up so I took it again.

Then I cleaned up the big hole in the back to make it match the internal box better.

Then I went ahead and cut the holes in the top of the case for the rad fans, and then mounted the fans and rad. I actually quite proud of how they turned out.

And lastly heres a shot of the planned layout so far, still some details to iron out but this will be pretty close to the final.

Well that's it for tonight, I hope you all enjoy.

'Till next time, peace all.

FyreKnight

Very nice man. That case was a deal for how much you salvaged out of it lol. Keep the updates comming, Your keeping me entertained in school

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

OMGOSH WOW This is a nice mod. Good job with the fans there. I cant wait to see this one finished.
    Need a sig

Nice metalworking skills, very neatly done! This is one cool looking case, you just need a couple of rows of daggers somewhere... I loved that flick too, and had never heard of the gunpowder plot until I saw it, very cool story.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

Noobish, but Trying.

Well I know it's been nearly 3 full weeks now since my last update, but work and family sometimes just can't help but take some of my free time.

Today however I was finally able to get back to work and although there was not as much progress as I would like, I did mange to get some things done.

There has been a small change in my plans, the 7" widescreen LCD panel turned out to be a flop. I wanted to run it from a vga connection but it was configured for TV input, so after much researching I tried to wire the controller for a vga input. Unfortunately it was a dismal failure and in the process I completely fubar'd the chances of using it in its original TV input format.

So after a short fit of depression over my lack of success, I picked myself up and blew a fond farewell kiss to the $140 experiment. (Life's lessons don't always come cheap. lol)

Still determined to have an LCD screen integrated into my case and no where near the limit of my VISA card I began searching once again, this time with the clear resolve to find an LCD with VGA input already there.

This is what I ended up with ...

A package?.... For Me? What's inside?

Ooooo ... and it's a touch screen too!!

And now for todays progress...

I cut the first holes in the front cover, for the mask shadowbox, the LCD, and the 140mm fan. The pics were taken after 15mins of cutting and around 1 1/2 hours of filing. They turned out pretty good I think.

And here I was finally able to properly mock-up the front cover, although I still have the 2 angled sides to take care of. As of now the plan is to have a large window on the right side, and perhaps acrylic daggers arranged on the left. The fan will have the "V" symbol over it in acrylic which I will try to have lit-up, and of course the shadowbox for the mask will be covered with acrylic as well.

And these are a couple of shots of the beginning of the door mechanism, it's basically a modified keyboard drawer slide. The idea is for the door to swing out and up a few inches and then slide up on the drawer slides, and finally tilt back until it rests on top of the case.

I don't know if you can tell from these pics, but installing the slides involved a slight modification to the original I/O box for clearance. Of course saying it was a slight modification is only in reference to the looks, the work involved was almost as much as making the I/O box all over again.

And that's it for today ... 9 hours worth of work and it barely looks like I even showed up.

I should be able to get a few more hours in again tomorrow, so I will try to post another update then.

Peace all.

FyreKnight

AP BC Calculus = Headaches

oh my damn....that touch screen looks seXy! o.0~!

Aye Caramba, nice work. You're good with the metal dude.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Noobish, but Trying.

Thanks for the comments guys ... you're makin' me blush

As promised I managed to get a little more time in on "V" today so here's another li'l update.

Didn't get anything done on the case or door today, but I worked on my hinge assembly and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. Still needs a little bit of fine tuning and I'll have to reposition it some, but the main part is there.

The pics ...

Here is the assembled hinge in it's down/closed position, if you'll notice one of the adjustments I have to make is to move the hinges in closer to the center of the case, as in their current position they stick out a li'l bit too far. A minor miscalculation on my part but nothing I can't adjust.

And here is the hinge in it's up/open position...

I still have to make the mounting for the door itself, which will be at the very top of that aluminum tube where the door can pivot and rest on top of the case.

And finally some pics for a change of how I got there.

First, start with a shape...

Copy it many times... (8 times to be precise. )

Add in a few more carefully crafted pieces...

And begin assembly, first one hinge plate and the hinge tube...

...then a spacer tube, it's shorter than the hinge tube by a little more than the thickness of two hinge plates...

... add another hinge plate and stuff the lot inside the carefully cut and drilled square tube, securing it with the proper bolt...

...repeat the process with all of the hinge plates...

...and again repeat with the other end of the hinge plates and their respective square tubes.

...And Viola!! a working hinge assembly which, coupled with the drawer slides gives me 3" overheight clearance for the door allowing it to pivot back and rest on top of the case.

It took a total of 7 1/2 hours to accomplish all of that. including some time for designing on the fly.

That's it for this week ... not sure if I'll get a chance to work on it next weekend as it's my birthday on the 4th and my fiance's birthday on the 3rd. So inevitably the in-laws will be hosting some manner of get-together. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. The weekend after that looks good so far, so I will most definitely have something to report by then.

'Till next time, PEACE!!

FyreKnight

Fresh Paint

I wish I had a workshop like that , I guess i just have to confort with my own little crappy garage.Anyways looking pretty pro man, nice metal work !!
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Daniel Miranda\My Documents\My Pictures\mortalkombat.gif[/IMG]