Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: project desk'd

Default project desk'd

this is an exact copy and paste from my worklog on ocau, this is my 3rd mod, but the last 2 werent really worthy of showing off.

ok... i have myself 100 dollars to do what i want with these holidays, as long as its something constructive... so im taking the family computer(not mine), putting it on another desk, and then modding the computer desk... sounds wierd? yeah... thats what i thought!

ok, the basic idea is a computer under a desk with a window between the keyboard and monitor, motherboard will be mounted upside down and fans put in the bottom to warm your feet(its a p4... nuff said) and the drives will be on rollers attached to small motors so when u press a buttom, the drive pops out of an opening in the desk(kinda hard to explain, but i got it figured out, and i have done something similar).

next post will be initial pictures of the desk, + design theories

Default Re: project desk'd

and... so... without further ado, i give you...
    PIC CHAAAAAZZZZ(you might notice the case i have at the moment is the same one in project rankin)

yeaaahhh... main picture of the desk, to sorta show you what it looks like

picture tells a thousand words... or at least seventeen...

5 words here

UPDATES UPDATES

only a small one, but it gets the mod off the ground, oh, and i found a name for the mod, inspired by none other then defyant...

unlike backyard blitz, i have 3 worksite managers...

The setup so far

This was meant to be the pencil lines ive done... but it didnt turn out too good on the camera... so i went over it in paint

i had to sorta "mod" the mouse chord to fit it in the hole... dont try this at home...

it all fits nice and easily back in now

and look at that, a perfect mouse hole... will fill in the gap later on in the mod...

Thats it for now, will do more tomorrow when i have a ruler and some perspex

INSERT 3 MONTH BREAK HERE WHILE WAITING FOR PERSPEX THAT NEVER CAME AND FOR MY THUMB TO HEAL(i sliced it with an axe while chopping firewood)

update:
    finally, after waiting for 2 months for the perspex, i got some myself... box has been cut up out of an old desk made of the same material the modded one is made of(read: same color)
    not that it matters as i have decided to paint both the desk and the box/case.

side of case, thats spak filler, as i dont have any bondo, but it does the job.

entire case.

Defyant and Aussiejester and all the other great modders have great workshops... well... this is what i have to work with :upset: the only thing not pictured here htat i have used is the jigsaw, which im using a metal cutter for as i cannot find the wood cutter piece.
    edit: also, note the heatercore in the top right corner... that will be used in a later mod

i had a look around the house, and sitting in the corner of the back room, was this monster... thats over 5 feet tall, its a solid sheet of 5mm perspex

things to do: take apart the old case to get the mobo tray, then make all the adjustments in the wood case to get the mobo tray from the old case to fit, hopefully that will be done by tonight and pictures posted tomorrow...
    does anyone wanna donate 2 120mm fans to the cause? im in need of these as this thing has no ventilation at the moment, and i have gone over my budget.
    Edit: also, i need to make a mousepad out of the perspex i got there, as paint doesnt really go well with mouse's(the mouse scratches the **** outta the paint) if i paint the entire desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Delator
    PM your name and address and i will hook you up with a nice 120mm fan.
    Just cause you're young and giving it a go.
    cheers, i turned 16 a few months ago, so i guess i am fairly young for a modder.
    another update:
    Box marked out from above. i still dont know what im gunna put here, but i have a few ideas.

the chassis of an old case i bought off commando(it housed a p4 1.6 rig)

the rivets have been drilled out, and the mobo tray has been hacked up with a jigsaw.

it fits... now i gotta find a way of keeping it there.

after messing around with that mobo tray, i broke it, so i had to do a new one... also, here are some other updates

yeah... thats cut... pity its such a crappy job... not to worry

i got this stuff from home hardware down the road, costed 4:95 for 3.6 metres(cut in 1.8 metre strips so i could carry it home)

cut to fit

bondo'ed in(well, its plaster filler... but it does the same thing)

end result...

next part of the job.

i need USB ports near the front of the desk for usability... so... this:

will be going in like this:

cheers

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

very nice work until now

LOUD AND PROUD !

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Hmm desk modding an interesting idea I like. I might install a USB and a Etherenet hub just under my desk I think. Hmm I' am inspired.

A window in your desk though? You would have to make it pretty sturdy so I doesn't get cracked.

I guess it would be usefull to be able to see what is crawlling up your leg without actually leaning down or moving your legg
    Need a sig

Overclocked

i've been thinking of installing a usb light into my desk for the "turn off the lights, i'm trying to sleep here" moments.