Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: project desk'd

Default Re: project desk'd

Nice work so far. Interesting workshop-kinda like my cellar! Everything's fighting for space, eh?

Justblair posted photos of a computer he built into a desk a while back-have a look through the project galleries for it, it always helps to look at other folk's work.

Looks good so far thought.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Super Secret Agent

Yep I did... I was looking at this worklog this morning and I noticed that you took a very similar method of build to my own project.

Using the tray and back from an existing case is certainly a reasonable short cut. It reduces the risk of components not fitting and simplifies your planning. I would not discourage you from this route. I also found it to be good for setting my "true" plane for measurements. I did think later on in my build that in some ways using the whole back panel limited me slightly in my design. Though I was building into an irregular shape.

I am interested in knowing on the finish that you plan to use for your desk... This was an issue that took a lot of my time and imagination to resolve. I'll bet that whatever solution you use I will have pondered at some point in the process. My chance I guess to see what could have been for my own project. If you know what I mean?Keep the posts coming, cant wait to see how you tackle the project... If you have any questions or ideas to bounce, get in touch there is a good chance that I will have either tried them or can give you my own take on the pro's and cons.

My desk pc
    www.Justblair.co.uk My depository for electronic projects and articles

Quote Originally Posted by justblair View Post
    Yep I did... I was looking at this worklog this morning and I noticed that you took a very similar method of build to my own project.

Using the tray and back from an existing case is certainly a reasonable short cut. It reduces the risk of components not fitting and simplifies your planning. I would not discourage you from this route. I also found it to be good for setting my "true" plane for measurements. I did think later on in my build that in some ways using the whole back panel limited me slightly in my design. Though I was building into an irregular shape.

I am interested in knowing on the finish that you plan to use for your desk... This was an issue that took a lot of my time and imagination to resolve. I'll bet that whatever solution you use I will have pondered at some point in the process. My chance I guess to see what could have been for my own project. If you know what I mean?Keep the posts coming, cant wait to see how you tackle the project... If you have any questions or ideas to bounce, get in touch there is a good chance that I will have either tried them or can give you my own take on the pro's and cons.

My desk pc
    cheers mate, ill defenatly talk to you at some point in the future...

as for the finish, it will largely depend on what color the room is going to be painted in, as we are repainting the entire house, the room will "probably" be painted some neutral color such as grey or brown..
    either way, whatever color it is, i will paint the desk and box in a camo paint type of that color(and a few that are like it, for example, if it were brown, i would also do really dark marroon and orange)

UPDATE:
    as soon as my camera actually decides it wants to work and upload the pictures ill post them, however until then, writing will have to suffice...
    i have modded the button from an old case(which is exactly like one of shplades old mods that he never finished called rankine) into the desk on the oppisite side from the USB port thingy
    also cut 2 120mm fan holes in the front.
    and painted the "on" button gold.
    ok, heres piccy's

Fear

Wow, I like the USB port. Some desk you makin there. Keep it coming, I like.

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Looking good man I have always have wanted to do a desk mod but there is one problem...I DON'T HAVE A DESK lol

-=gaz=-

Nice work so far. I plan to build my own desk once I have a place to live. Right now I'm living in a dorm through undergrad.
    “Cynicism is a bunch of people who aren't as talented as other people, knocking them because they make them feel even more untalented.”
    -Ewan McGregor

ok, i lost a bunch of pix off my camera for some random reason...
    here is the most up to date one i have(i just took it then)

i decided to do some cable sleeving on the psu, which is some generico 400 watter...

go the bronco's

ok, my digi camera has died, so no more pics for the duration of the mod, however its almost finished, i just finished modding the cd drive into the monitor(it took 2 hours of dremmelling and angle grinding plastic...) and have spraypainted, then talcum powderededed the IDE cable.

all thats left to do is spraypaint the desk and fit everything in!

sorry for lack of updates, i really couldnt be stuffed taking pictures... ill save the "full OMFG worklog" for stealth... as the rest of this mod is fairly straightfoward... however here are some piccies...

yes... that IS where the DVD drive is going