Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED Diffusers

ATX Mental Case

If that is true then please accept my profuse apologies. I just always assumed that they were fiber-optic cables. I suppose that they could be nylon fishing cable. I have never really thought that nylon would be very good at transporting light. Well if that is indeed the case I stand corrected.
    Any one else know anything about that?
    Last edited by jonopaul01; 04-01-2005 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
    There is no other choice.

Water Cooled

fiber optic cables are much more sophisticated, optimized for the fastest speeds of light with minimal distortion, and made out of actual glass not plastic. they are also much more expensive to produce. if that thing with the fishing lines would have fiber optics noone would buy it cause it would cost over $100

ATX Mental Case

You are right Fiber-optic cables do cost a lot of money (relatively).But think about how many kilometres of submarine cables run under the atlantic. If that small amount costs so much, how much must those cables cost. Please can someone else give us some insight as to the nature of, ummm, table lamps (man this is becoming a wierd post).
    Last edited by jonopaul01; 04-01-2005 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Clarification
    There is no other choice.

There are plastic fiber optics, also remember that standard Acrylic or Plexy-glass will transmit light though it and shine out the ends but not be seen front the side view unless there is a "imperfection" to cause diffusion of the light transmission, this is why LED lit etched windows look so cool.

Default Re: LED Diffusers

And there it is... We've come full circle from our little tangent, but yes, I like the idea of etched/frosted plexi and a few uber bright LEDs to make case feet Gots to add that to the list of mods for my up and coming WOPR jr.
    "...angel headed hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of the night..." Allen Ginsberg 1926-1997

Case Wizard

Default Re: LED Diffusers

Adding my 2 Cents to this ....

If your going to use fishing line. Make sure you get the invisable line. If you buy the cheap spool you will be limited by the distance the light can travel. 3" was the best I could do with the cheap spool I got. I since have gotten a 15.oo figeroptic plant kit from Micheals. It is plastic fishing line and used one tip ot match it with the better fishing line. Also cutting the ends at an angle will give a wider area of effect.