Thread: Socket T (LGA 775) Pentium D and DDR1?

Default Socket T (LGA 775) Pentium D and DDR1?

Not sure where this belongs... mods feel free to movie it if necessary. Thanks in advance.

Replacing mobo, cpu, memory, videocard for my little brother. He is into World of Warcraft and hates having to play it on his old HP, a PIII 933mhz/133mhz bus, 512mb SDRAM max (no idea what speed), ata-66 I believe. I have no idea what the PSU is rated at. I'm planning on buying this gear and want to know if the Pentium D will run with just DDR1 memory?

PC CHIPS P23G (V3.0) Socket T (LGA 775) VIA P4M800 PRO Micro ATX

-Intel Core 2 Duo/Pentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron D
    -1066/800MHz
    -Hyper-Threading Technology
    -North Bridge: VIA P4M800 PRO
    -South Bridge: VIA VT8237R

-DDR Slots: 2x 184pin DDR 400
    -DDR2 Slots: 2x 240pin DDR2 533

-Max: 2GB

--------------------

Pentium D 805 Smithfield 2.66GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core

-Operating Frequency: 2.66GHz
    -FSB: 533MHz
    -L1 Cache: 24KB+32KB
    -L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB
    -Hyper-Threading Support: No
    -Virtualization Technology Support: No

--------------------

CORSAIR ValueSelect 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400

-Cas Latency: 2.5
    -Voltage: 2.5V

--------------------

It's been so long since I've put a machine together from fresh parts, I want to make sure I don't waste time shipping stuff back and forth until I get it right. I was thinking a Pentium D and DDR memory for now, possibly upgrading him to a Conroe and DDR2 in the near future. What do you think? I know AGP is a dying breed but I didn't think I could pass up this mobo deal. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I was also looking into this videocard, which is something else I need to get him. I haven't played anything more graphic intensive than HL2 on my machine and my Ti4200 just barely pulled that off. He wants to run World of Warcraft painlessly, and probably Doom3 with little/no problems. Will something like this work?

I know this sounds lame but he looks up to me quite a bit, especially when it comes to computers, so I really don't want to let him down with this machine. Thanks.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Default Re: Socket T (LGA 775) Pentium D and DDR1?

6800XT is a fine card for that. But do yourself and your brother a favour spend a little bit more and get a PCI-E board not AGP take it from me someone trapped in the AGP world. Pentium D will be fine with DDR in the main time but spend a little bit more and get a PCI-E board that supports Cronone and Pentium D alot do. And th 6800 family are probably cheaper on the PCI-E slot due to economies of scale.
    Need a sig

Thanks for the comment. How about this board? It needs to be an mATX.

ECS P4M890T-M2 (V1.0B) Socket T (LGA 775) VIA P4M890 Micro ATX

-Intel Core 2 Duo/Pentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron D
    -1066/800MHz
    -Hyper-Threading Technology
    -North Bridge: VIA P4M890
    -South Bridge: VIA VT8237R Plus

-DDR Slots: 2x 184pin DDR 400
    -DDR2 Slots: 2x 240pin DDR2 533

-Max DDR: 2GB
    -Max DDR2: 4GB

This is almost identical except it has PCI Express instead of AGP. I was reading the reviews and some say it's really only 4x, but another says that it's really 16x and 4x means it can perform 4x faster than AGP. Which is correct? Thanks!!!! !!!!!!!!

I think I made up my mind. That second PCI-e mobo is only 6 dollars more, and the PCI-e version of that XFX Geforce 6800XT 256MB is also only 6 dollars more. Any other comments before I make this purchase?

Had a look at the companies website page http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Product...=Specification should be fine. It even has integrated graphics whihc mike make it a bit more expensive. But the in built graphics can hardly run windows though.

Yes it is PCI-E 16x its a little misleading ton their website though.

Go for it mate hopee all goes well.

Are you gonna use DDR or DDR2. DDR2 is good it has much better performance. Also with the integrated graphics on the mobo when you instal it go into the bios and turn it off as it using 64mb of the computers ram for its own processing.
    Need a sig

Well geez, now that you mention it, Corsair DDR2 533 512mb is only 2 dollars more. Thanks for you help! Total cost so far is $333.96 for the mobo, cpu, memory and videocard

On a side note I also checked to make sure DDR2 is compaitable with Pentium D and it is so no problems there.

Hope the build goes well. Remember what I told you about the onboard graphics and turning it off.
    Need a sig