Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: need some help

Default need some help

with my new comp case. I put everything together internally and it all seems to work. Mobo powers up, cd drives but im having trouble connecting the power switch on the tower to the mobo. I cant seem to find the right connection. I have the specs on the pin layout and when i connect the power sw to the mobo nothing. the monitor has that error screen, check connections etc. the monitor works.

Overclocked

Default Re: need some help

if the mobo powers up and the cd drives work, then i'd guess the problem isn't the power switch
    check that the video card is properly seated. if it's a newer PCIE card, it might require a separate power connector too. i'd ask if you hear a POST beep, but that's disabled so often these days.

How Big's Your Mouth?! gaz_the_chav's Avatar

Is there any beeps at all or does it not start up at all??

-gaz

no beeps..its a PIII mobo.

i have an ati radeon 9200 card agp not pci. however the drivers arent installed on it..should i remove the card? that overrides the integrated video card right?

Overclocked

meh, the video card shouldn't be conflicting, but i'd pull it and see if this works with the onboard. the drivers shouldn't be a problem - if nothing else windows just says "hey its a generic card" and operates at like ... 600x400 until you get the right drivers. ugly but functional :p

i'm mildly confused though, does the motherboard receive power or no? you say the cd drive works...i've never known one to open unless you've got power on the mobo. is the power switch plugged in or not? :p

the mobo powers up. I see the light on and the cdrw opens and powers up. the video card had no effect either...hmmm...

2.8.3.3.1 Reset Switch Connector
    Pins 5 and 7 can be connected to a momentary SPST type switch that is normally open. When the
    switch is closed, the D815EEA2 and D815EPEA2 boards reset and run the POST.
    2.8.3.3.2 Hard Drive Activity LED Connector
    Pins 1 and 3 can be connected to an LED to provide a visual indicator that data is being read from
    or written to a hard drive. For the LED to function properly, an IDE drive must be connected to the
    onboard IDE interface. The LED will also show activity for devices connected to the SCSI hard
    drive activity LED connector.
    For information about Refer to
    The SCSI hard drive activity LED connector Section 2.8.3.2, page 79

2.8.3.3.3 Power/Sleep/Message Waiting LED Connector
    Pins 2 and 4 can be connected to a single-colored or dual-colored LED. Table 49 shows the
    possible states for a single-colored LED. Table 50 shows the possible states for a dual-colored
    LED.
    Table 49. States for a Single-Colored Power LED
    LED State Description
    Off Power off/sleeping
    Steady Green Running
    Blinking Green Running/message waiting
    Table 50. States for a Dual-Colored Power LED
    LED State Description
    Off Power off
    Steady Green Running
    Blinking Green Running/message waiting
    Steady Yellow Sleeping
    Blinking Yellow Sleeping/message waiting
    ✏ NOTE
    To use the message waiting function, ACPI must be enabled in the operating system and a messagecapturing
    application must be invoked.
    2.8.3.3.4 Power Switch Connector
    Pins 6 and 8 can be connected to a front panel momentary-contact power switch. The switch must
    pull the SW_ON# pin to ground for at least 50 ms to signal the power supply to switch on or off.
    (The time requirement is due to internal debounce circuitry on the D815EEA2 and D815EPEA2
    boards.) At least two seconds must pass before the power supply will recognize another on/off
    signal.

from the manual

i have a blue and white wires for the psw (labeled power sw) and i connect them to 6 and 8 (assuming white is ground and p 8 is as well)

Overclocked

well i'm mildly stumped. if the CD drive opens (and case fans turn on), i really don't believe your problem is the power switch. you're sure the monitor isn't fried?

pretty sure. I sued it the other day..I can check