Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: project stealth

Default project stealth

ok, as im almost finished my desk'd mod, ive started getting ideas for my next one, which i hope will be bigger and better then the previous.

the mod will be a scale model of a B2 Bomber(stealth bomber, for those of you too lazy to use google)
    ive just made a lifesize wireframe of it on the floor using bonzai wire, and checked to make sure all the components will fit, its a tight fit, but they do manage to fit in.

i plan to use only slimline stuff, as i cant really fit anything else, it will have to be watercooled as again, normal heatsinks and such wont fit as there just isnt enough height(total height at the lowest-highest point is 140 MM.)

im going to put 2 slim 120mm fans(ive seen them around, they are 12mm thick instead of 25mm) in the port things they have on either side of the cockpit(diagram will show what i mean)

the outside of the case will have a blue glow to it, as there will be blue LED's spaced about 50 - 80mm apart around it, with silicon sealant to diffuse the glow(check the diagram to see what i mean)

1 slimline DVD drive and 1 slimline CD drive on each wing

2 red LED's in each of the afterburner ports( http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircra...B2AndC1302.jpg )

ill have to put the wheels on it, as otherwise it would just fall to 1 side...

there will be 2 HDD racks(each capable of holding 2 HDD's)
    1 under each of the ports on the front(under the 120MM slimline fans)
    http://www.aerodesign.de/nurflugel/B-2_front.jpg

the cockpit will be frosted perspex, with an LED behind each window(there will be 2 windows, see diagram) green for on, red for HDD light

PSU will be chopped up(i.e. outside its normal casing) and stuck in the back at an angle.(i might have to use a shuttle PSU)

NOTE: diagram is very badly drawn, i dislocated my finger today, and am coming down off dexamphetamine, my mind is off in fairyland...

tell me what you think

the inspiration for this mod actually comes from nighthawk, but i didnt like the "cockpit" look, so i went for the whole plane look

Anodized

Default Re: project stealth

Wow looks good man!

That's going to be f-in huge!

from nose to wingtip will be 80-100 cm

ive ditched the blue LED idea, and gone for a more stealthy approach

my biggest problem is price... this is an exerpt from a post i made in my OCAU worklog regarding parts prices:
    it seems the mod will go about 2.5x over the limit as with budget concerns, adding it all up looks like this:

frame:
    balsa wood - TBA(around $20-30)
    steel bars to reinforce balsa wood - free(dads work)
    aluminium covers - TBA(around $50-60)
    paint
    primer $ 8 (undercoat)
    Black - $8(base paint)
    dark grey - $8(for some parts of the wings, to make it look worn down)
    light grey - $8(lines on the wings, detail work)
    white - $8(for the Logo i will potentially put on the hull, also for the numbers(each b2 spirit was numbered, im basing mine off one called spirit of kittyhawk))

hardware:
    1 slimline DVD drive $150
    1 slimline CD drive $70
    PCIE riser $30

Watercooling:
    mcp 350(only thing small enough to fit, ive check out all diferent types of aquarium pumps) $130
    radiator $25(ill pick one up from the wreckers)
    MC60W or dangerden maze4 $70(hmm, i wish i had enuf money for that last one from D&K)
    waterblock $80(im not sure what type to get, there are NO waterblocks available that have barbs that dont point upwards)
    resevoir: home made... not sure where im going to put it though...

fans
    2 x 120MM for the rad $30
    2 x 80mm slimline fans(i dont know where to get these from, any help owuld be much appreciated, i know they exist, just not sure where) for the 2 ports on the front(also, to cool the HDD's) $40

total 735... better start saving :/

im going to skimp on some things, and rely ALOT on family members and friends donating stuff, christmas present will probably be the watercooling stuff(if i can convince my family to get it for me)
    balsa wood will probably be borrowed(stolen) from school, as will sheet metal(aluminium covers)
    120mm fans... well, i have no idea what or where to get these from(brands etc)
    slimline DVD and CD drive... well... this is the backbreaker, i just simply dont have the money to buy it, im saving for a 3 month subscription to a brazillian jiu jitsu gym(i cant keep paying by the week, its too expensive) which will cost $270...

yes... budget is indeed a huge problem, i wonder how paul capello affords his mods, his sponsors dont pay for ALL of it do they?

very very nice idea. I will follow the build of this thing.

maybe it would be nice if you painted the outside (black parts) with blackboard-paint. It'll give a matte finish to the paint. I think that will look nice, since the B-2 itself is also not shiny black...

oh, on a side note... be sure to post lots of pics when you start building

yeah, there seems to be alot more interest in this then in desk'd(the reason why i stopped posting pix was coz nobody seemed to like it too much)
    i wont be using blackboard type paint, although the B2 bomber is NOT shiny black, there is an effect i have been wanting to try out... im going to spray with black AND dark grey at the same time, so the paint melds into each other, creating a very very dark grey.
    that way, ill still be able to make it shiny, AND lifelike.
    i personally dislike the Matte look...
    i might try a more rugged look by sandblasting all the panels once they are made,then doing very light gloss enamel coats.(so as not to make the paint pool in the pits made by sandblasting)

Anodized

In regards to project desk'd, keep putting up pics, because there are some folks that read and watch the worklogs even though we don't post a whole lot. Don't let what seems like a lack of interest keep you from chronicling your work.

BTW, great concept for this project!
    [_]) javafiend
    da j-o-b blocked photobucket

2 Metres wide? You're going to need to make those wings removable if you want to get it through doors.

Man, this is a crazy idea. Look up Crimson's Project Nighthawk for another stealth themed case.

there seems to be alot more interest in this then in desk'd(the reason why i stopped posting pix was coz nobody seemed to like it too much)
    No offence dude, but if you're doing this for popularity, then you're doing this for all the wrong reasons. Javafiend's advice is good, you should listen.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    2 Metres wide? You're going to need to make those wings removable if you want to get it through doors.

Man, this is a crazy idea. Look up Crimson's Project Nighthawk for another stealth themed case.

No offence dude, but if you're doing this for popularity, then you're doing this for all the wrong reasons. Javafiend's advice is good, you should listen.

-Dave
    i do the logs because people seem to be interested in it, the less interest, the less reason to update the logs... however i do the projects for personal satisfaction... also, to get more expirience working with real world stuff, i turned 16 this year, so before now i wasnt really strong enough to handle the power tools, nor was i confident enough to see a project through till the end

the wingspan will be less then 2 metres... because the nose angle is 30*
    so the wingspan would be sin-1 * 30 * 200(i think, probably the wrong calculation)

ill post updates pics on DESK'D soon...

also, if you see at the bottom of my first post, i said the inspiration for this case came largely from nighthawk

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by elementalelf View Post
    ive just made a lifesize wireframe of it on the floor using bonzai wire,
    hoo boy that's gonna be a lot of wire

excited to see how this turns out tho, like any other geek, i love the look of the stealth bomber. it's just so .. simple and clean looking.