Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why still a box?

Water Cooled

Default Re: Why still a box?

you are talking about making an object into a computer. imo it is kinda between "case moding and creating" as you said because you are not creating anything, but not modding a case either, but creating a computer case by modding an other object. this is cool and in the end it comes down to personal tastes. if you want a computer to look like something else, its fine, but there are those who want to keep the computer look. and not stealth it into something else. everyone has a different style and approach to modding, hence you see the boxes

Case Wizard

Wrong foot ... Just becarefull moving around. Toes get stepped on all of the time. You have to also remimber a strieght line is easyer to cut than one that has bends. Also most have limited tools. CNC mills and water Jets are not as common in someone home workshop as a table saw or jib saw.

the current project I am working on does come in line as fabberaction but I started with right angles and not odd shapes.

Drive rails at another view.

and I need to spend a few hours working on it somemore to get an update on my project log.

Trust me, I don't have any fancy tools, either. In fact, I don't have the wood working skills that is going to be required for this project. I am going to tackle the whole thing and learn in the process. I'm looking forward to it.

Once again, sorry if I offended!

I'm sure u didn't offend... but jumping on a forum for case modding and questioning how we do it, aint to cool... lol.
    And as you know, this is pretty much the site where people come to try and be like crimson. That is, to be able to make cases from an idea as well as he does. Everybody here is learning. A few lights here, a window there, are the perfect places to start modding, as it gives you fundamentals of cutting and electronics. Case fabrication, isn't really an easy place to start... it requires a lot of knowledge in engineering and metalworking (or a damn lot of practice).

And i think sexy comp boxes can look a lot cooler (as far as computers go) than some object themed mods... I mean, i'd prefer an awesome looking box comp over a case such as Crimson's Metropolis (no offence =D ), just because i <3 smaller more futuristic cases. And by futuristic, i mean, sci-fi... lol

Fresh Paint

It is obviously much easier to cut and produce something which has inherently straight lines. Once you try and add all the items which too are straight, motherboard, HDD, PSU etc then for ease of manufacture and efficiency you end up with a case shape - and a case can have a beautiful aesthetic shape.

I’m not really into themed cases as some can look too involved but some do look absolutely fantastic although I definitely don’t have the time to put into one.

What kind of shapes are you thinking of ? How about a pyramid in acrylic - still straight lines but slightly different from a square case - this will probably be my next 'case' project

Quote Originally Posted by heychadwick
    My first project that I want to work on is taking an antique radio shell and convert it into a case. It's an old wooden radio from the 1930's. It's just the case, really. I want to put an old pc of mine into it and work a few things into the frame. Add some lights to the bandwidth dial, etc. Now, would that be a mod? Or would it be creating a new case? One can make the argument that I am moding an object to be a case.
    Welcome to TBCS! you can see we are passionate about case modding, don't take it the wrong way when some of the folks come off as harsh, its just that we love this stuff and we all talk like Italians around a Sunday dinner table sometimes--loud and fiery!

anyway the mod you described abovew sounds like what I call a "found object mod" --taking an everyday (or not) item and transforming it into a computer. Best of luck with it, I hope you post it here as you build it!

As stated, my first project is to take a 1930's radio and turn it into a working pc. I'll add lights behind the frequency indicator. I'll put some USB ports in the front. I don't want to change it too much as I like the craftsmanship of the original object in a new format. I like a time when a standard household electronic item (the radio) had a more asthetic appeal.

I've also thought about doing something with a buddha statue. I figure the statue would be on a base that would hold the pc. There wouldn't be much in the statue, save for LED lights as the eyes to indicate the hard drive was thinking. Oh, and I would love to turn his belly button into either the power button or the disk eject. This is a project that is much into my future, if at all.

I have thought about a pyramid. I think that would be cool to do. Along with other classical ideas, I've thought of even just putting greek columns and friezes on the sides of cases, too. That would take more skill then what I have at the momment, though.

A crazy idea I had would have to be done with laptop parts. It would be to take a basketball with a college emblem on it (college b-ball is big here) and turn it into a pc. I figure I would have to find some sort of foam that hardened a bit to fill it. After that, I would cut it in half to get into it. There wouldn't be much room for the mother board, power supply, and hard drive. If possible, I might even be able to fit in an optical drive. Put some cheap plastic tabs on as feet, and it will stand on it's own.

I'd love to see some sort of death star model turned into a pc, though. I've had some thoughts about putting some kid's toys as cases, but don't have anything specific in mind. Doll houses would be easy.

These are just some of the random things that I come up with that would like to see happen.

Very cool...

THATS the type of modding we all wanna be able to do =P