Thread: How do you mod a monitor?

Default How do you mod a monitor?

I got a monitor from a friend...
    21" flat screen CRT with a 20" viewable area.

The problem is that it's a 65 pound hunk of square white plastic sitting on my desk.

Other than painting the exterior... what can be done? Can I remove the housing or cut windows in it?

I have no experience with modding computers and even less with this...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Default Re: How do you mod a monitor?

Yes, cut some windows, and paint it. you could also build a custom case for it, but that is a lot of work. In the winter I use my 24" superwide monitor as a heater. I put a 120mm case fan on top to direct the warm air into the room. Never have to heat that room anymore.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Painting it would be the easiest route to make it more "original". Obviously you realized that. If you can get ahold of an airbrush then you could always do some really nice paints for it. Such as Pearlescent Blue/Blue-ish Green Shift.

http://www.kustomshop.com/scripts/de...earltrad19.bbx

You can build a new enclosure for it, or you can build onto the present enclosure. ie Case Fans, Windows, LEDS (if enough room), Textures, etc.

You could also put a piece of acrylic in front of your monitor with some spacers and etch a bit on that piece of acrylic. Obviously you dont want to ruin your view of the screen so you dont want to over do it. But maybe just a lil here and there like in the corners.

-SF
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

you can mod the housing of the monitor without problems, as far as i know. just be damned careful unless monitors have changed since i last read about em, there are some fun things, like high capacity capacitors and such inside there

as long as you don't kill the airflow you should be fine with altering the housing of the monitor.

hell, if you do it right, you could probably make your own imac!

The guts of a CRT monitor can be really dangerous. If you don't need to use this monitor I would suggest unplugging and letting it sit for a week or so to let it dishcharge.

If the caps discharge, they can kill you. If nothing else, it can leave some wicked scarring and some nerve damage. Safety first. If you're impatient, take it to a tv repair shop, they can discharge it for you and then you don't have to worry about it.

As for what you can do, that goes as far as your imagination and patience.

Something that I always find appealing is redoing the front of the monitor. Changing the buttons, rounding off the frame, etc.

Give yourself some time to think about it. No reason to rush into something you won't be happy with.

The only monitor mod I've done is basic paint work, so take my words with a grain of salt. Except safety.

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Many thanks!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein