Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "cannon" speakers

Default "cannon" speakers

I have kept hearing about tube speakers, so I thought I would make some of my own . I'm going to use some Harmon-Kardon speakers (3 in. diameter, 1 in. head) and make a tube housing for them. I was going to add in my personal touch by adding a few modifications. I'll post pics later today or tomorrow.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

Default Re: "cannon" speakers

tube speakers, i dont get it 100%

some pics would help, so.... get off ya' a$$ and show us the new toy

LOUD AND PROUD !

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    I'll post pics later today or tomorrow.
    patience they're supposedly coming

(or get off your own ass and google!
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rs&btnG=Search
    )

my behind is to tired, so no geting up for a while

LOUD AND PROUD !

okay. I got an awesome pic w/ my Nikon D200 (lol i need to change the shutter speed :p).

Heres the tube speaker and the little amp (gets hot after a while, I might switch out that copper "strip" for a huge aluminum heatsink. These 5 watt speakers put out as much as my 180 watt subwoofer. The tube design is AMAZING. I think I'm going to mount them on the sides of my PC . Oh yeah, just as a test, I put a CD on the top of the subwoofer. The vibes pushed the CD off in about 3 seconds. I was like O.o.

I made the speaker with a soldering iron (to melt the plastics together around the edges), plexiglass, and 4" diameter tubing. The tubing fit right in, and i melted around the speaker where the "rim" is.

The sound is unbelievable!. I just have to finish the other speaker :p.

edit: I used dual layer speakers for this (up & down drive on each speaker) made by Harmon Kardon.

I have fine-tuned the sound quality, and now I've decided not to do the other speaker. The tube provides awesome bass, and the other speaker provides treble. Now I'm down to changing out a flimsy copper "heatsink" (really just a copper strip) with a CPU aluminum heatsink, sanding down the amp, and making a housing for the speaker head.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by progbuddy View Post
    I have kept hearing about tube speakers, so I thought I would make some of my own .

if you can get your hands on a nother tube of acrilic and put it under the speaker, bend both tubes, and make U shaped, this way you would use both the up drive and the down drive of the speaker

LOUD AND PROUD !

Life is like an analogy...

haha, i love it!

let me guess... you had to cut the tube to a certain length right? i cant remember what its really called... i call it resonant lengths... anyways if you cut a tube to an interval of a produced wavelength, it will amplify because of its resonant properties.

lets see if i can spit out some math here...

seems to me that the speed of sound is about 300m/s. our range of hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz.... so lets just say it spans the entire 20kHz.

so what you would probably want to do is use the middle value of 10kHz and make the tube according to that. heres where it gets fun, because you have to find the length of the wavelength. its easy though. wavelength=speed of sound/frequency. so then we say wavelength=300/10000 which equals .03 meters... 3 centimeters.

heres something beautiful... since we used 10kHz, we can make this work for 20kHz, 15kHz, 5kHz... and others if we make the tube long enough.... but lets look at the tube length itself first and then ill get back to this.

so one 10Khz wavelength is 3cm. that means that any tube that is a multiple of 3cm long will amplify it. so a 30cm tube, or a 90 cm tube, or a 240cm tube... all those will amplify because they're multiples of 3cm.

so now back to the other thing. we can cover more than just 10kHz by making the tube length just right. this means we should look at some more wavelengths. 20kHz is double the frequency of 10, so the wavelength is half which is 1.5cm. 5kHz is half of 10, so the wavelength is double... 6cm. 15kHz is 1.5 times 10, so the wavelength is 3/1.5 which is 2cm.

so now we have wavelengths of 1.5cm, 2cm, 3cm, and 6cm to work with. all we need to do now is find a tube length that is a multiple of all four of those wavelengths. 60cm works well. 60/6=10, 60/3=20, 60/2=30, and 60/1.5=40.... it all works. so that means a 60cm tube will amplify all four of our frequencies.

now what does all this mean? well my guess is that you may have found instructions on the internet giving a specific length to cut the tube to. this length is probably a length that will amplify the majority of the frequencies between 20Hz and 20kHz. not ALL the frequencies though. you would probably need a VERY long tube to accommodate all of them... just the majority will do anyways.

ill tell you what though. im going to write a quick program to find the length required to amplify all frequencies. we may be in for a nice surprise.. it may not be a completely unreasonable length.

hopefully the stuff i just said makes sense.... if not... well ill try to clarify... but im going to work on that program first.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Slug toy. You. Are. A. God.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.