Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An Intresting Idea *Please Look*

D'Oh

Default Re: An Intresting Idea *Please Look*

... sorry to butt in.. but are you trying to put more speakers (drivers) on the sub output on your soundcard? or just pluggin stuff in? i see 2 scenarios:
    1.)you can use lots of nice 2.1 systems, use the front and rear jacks.. and add a separate amp on the sub/center to output to a sub and center speaker cabinet(s).. this means you have control over the type of sound you make: party boom-boom or movie watching..
    2.)take all your stuff out of their boxes(amps, speakers) and redo everything.. there is a nice thing you can do to get more from a small amp.. first.. look at the size of your speakers and their build type, buy pairs of them.. for instance.. if you use 2 speakers in parallel instead of one, you get more sound, at the expence of half the impedance... so, you use 2 speakers in parallel in series with 2 identical in parallel.. so, you get higher sensitivity and the same impedance.. this way, your amp will stay in normal working conditions. Works better with 8 identical speakers.. wire them in such a way the impedance stays the same, but the sensitivity goes up by +9db (double the sound at the same wattage)

so, if you wanna use the same amps you have.. buy lots more speakers.. then make nice towers for everything.. remember to match the outputs for all channels (gonna go expensive for subs...) have fun and google

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

I'll agree that you generally get more bang for your buck with automotive speakers. I went to bestbuy and picked up two 10" RF subs (P1) with an RF amp (300w 2ohm punch) AND an enclosure for two 10" woofers... all for $300. For another $100, I put two 5.25" Infinities in my doors. It's very yummy.

Razors Edge

Yeah, I have an automotice speaker, But I can figure out how to hook it up. Anyone got any guides?

D'Oh

just follow the same wiring convention for all speakers.. generally, it's red for plus... i mean red to red... black to black... this way, you keep them in phase...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Well what my neighbor did was simply run the subs through an automotive amplifier which was powered by a power inverter plugged into 110V AC and converting it to 12V DC, he then had RCA cables run from his soundcard to the amp. Switch the amp to low pass and see how it sounds.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I have yet another idea (lol :p). Try "splitting" the sound by having some Y-shaped setup. Oh, and if you decide to get more speakers for this project, get ones with bigger heads for a better bass (I have two dual drive woofers w/ large diameter heads and each are 180 watts).
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

First off, please, spell better. Upsessesd is "Obsessed", Attension is "Attention", etc.

Bad spelling is a pet peeve of mine, and don't feed me this "go easy i'm 13" crap, 'cause I don't care.

Now that that's off my chest:

Just hook up two 2.1 systems to a single channel and there you go. That "Destructive interference" somebody mentioned is BS. If anything, the interference just amplifies the intensity of the bass, but to a reasonable level.

I used to have a 12" CF woofer, when I was at boarding school, but somebody took the woofer and electronics and left me with a big, heavy particleboard box. I wanna get another 12" woofer but this time go for Vinyl or Wood if I can.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    First off, please, spell better. Upsessesd is "Obsessed", Attension is "Attention", etc.

Bad spelling is a pet peeve of mine, and don't feed me this "go easy i'm 13" crap, 'cause I don't care.

Now that that's off my chest:

Just hook up two 2.1 systems to a single channel and there you go. That "Destructive interference" somebody mentioned is BS. If anything, the interference just amplifies the intensity of the bass, but to a reasonable level.

I used to have a 12" CF woofer, when I was at boarding school, but somebody took the woofer and electronics and left me with a big, heavy particleboard box. I wanna get another 12" woofer but this time go for Vinyl or Wood if I can.

Omega-
    The destructive interference was only being considered is there were 2 subs with separate channels of independent recording. If they are both connected to the same channel then yes, D.I. would not have much affect (I have been told it still can if the subs are not equidistant, but I haven't been able to notice much). But if recorded with the theoretical X.2 discussed earlier where you have two subs playing different notes at diff frequencies, I'll bet it would have an effect. But I don't know for sure, just a consideration. Why do you think D.I. is BS?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

You want to send the same mono channel to both subs for a clearer, heavier sound. Low freq noise isn't directional, thus stereo is pointless for bass and kicks drums. Each sub throwing at the exact same rate is what you want to shoot for in order to get the most out of your speakers. When you start dealing w/ an amplifier, there are even more ways to really crunch every pretty penny you've spent but this is really the most basic property of subwoofers.

I think a neat idea for this sound system would be to incorporate ELS surround sound. My mom's car has this feature (Acura TL), and it runs off DVD-Audio. I thought it was neat because instead of just wiring each speaker to two wires and blasting it all on the same channel, this type of surround sound produces crystal clear, multi-channel sound with some nice delay effects and audio adjustments built in.
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.