Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decisions....decisions....

Default Re: Decisions....decisions....

Quote Originally Posted by xdxforever View Post
    here is my middle range reccomendation: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103539
    Is that faster than a dual-core like a 775 Pentium D 2.66 mhz? The bus speed is about half as much and the caches is also half as much. It's about the same price as well. Just curious because this could determine what I get for my computer including motherboard.

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Oh, Razor, btw,

Socket A is actually old as all hell. It's older than 939 and 754 even.

You mean Socket AM2. There's quite a big gap between A and AM2.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Razor isn't here anymore. He's banned for abuse of the rep system and sending insulting messages to the Admins. Not to mention all the worthless crap he posted on the boards...but never mind. Don't bash the guy. In a year, who knows? He could be as helpful as Tybrennis is now.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Razor isn't here anymore. He's banned for abuse of the rep system and sending insulting messages to the Admins. Not to mention all the worthless crap he posted on the boards...but never mind. Don't bash the guy. In a year, who knows? He could be as helpful as Tybrennis is now.

-Dave

Eh, I'll be honest, i'm not too horribly suprised.

But then agian, i got banned from a webforum when I was his age for pretty similar reasons -- he's just gotta grow up a bit, is all.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs

Anodized

Did he get ban for being immature, or for his age?

Anodized

O ok, thanks.

Let's get this straight: Me, Rankenphile, and Crimson are all the same. We don't care if you're 10 or 100. If you can act civilized then you're welcome here.

None of us will ban someone because of their age. Half the people on these forums are under 20.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    the math behind an AMD proc is differnt in clock cycles vs an intel, if an AMD had the same clock-cycle math, a 2.0 ghz AMD would really be more like 2.99ghz.. Kind of the difference between a 560HP V8 Hemi Charger (old school boys, like the 60's) vs. a 750HP V6 Supra (we've all played Gran Turismo 2 right?) The charger cna still definately hold it's own. My last AMD Processor was a K6-2 550Mhz.. It was faster in benchmark than its P2 clone.. anyway. I'm and Intel man lately, but I would definately not go socket 478. You are limited on boards, and pieces. there are NO boards ( well maybe 1 or possible 2) that are 478 that support PIC-e. I am currently running a P4Extreme H/T socket 478 @ 3.99 Ghz (o'ced) and I can't do anything with it in the next 4 or 5 months but turn it into my server or.... ***shudders*** give it to my wife..... LOL

-Jeremy
    Actually the difference between a 550HP V8 and a 750HP V6 is quite obvious -- 200HP. Assuming the measuring method is the exact same (say, WHP on 2,000lb rollers), then the difference is only surface deep.

Quote Originally Posted by MintyMadness View Post
    But the difference between a 550hp V8 and a 720hp V6,, if the measuring method is the exact same (is it when comparing AMD to Intel? maybe but not exactly), IS more than just whp on 2thousandpound rollers. There are cams to take into account, block sizes, raw torque, gear ratios, headers, etc. This all goes into account in procs. I guess the point is, Theres no telling which proc is the 550hp v8 or whatever, but one will get you there in raw torque quickly, and one will have the top-end. Although they both have the torque and the top-end.. Just the "grading scale" is different between the two.. I dunno.. Seemed like a good analogy when I went over it in my head... lol

-Jeremy BTW, great site.. I want to do a custom case mod, but I have to do all my research first. Just got through going through all of DaveW's stage 1 and 3 stuff.. Great ideas and info in there, as well as great work! Expect to see me hanging around for a while
    Cam sizes, engine timing, cylinder bores, etc, all don't matter if you're calculating WHP under the exact same conditions. They're like the addends before the sum, you can compare corresponding numbers but that doesn't mean crap because the sum of one set is greater than another.

Now, say, if you compare the 750 peak WHP v6 at it's 550HP mark to that V8, I bet you that the RPM will be higher for the V6, but as I said before, comparing corresponding parts doesn't matter if the sum of one is greater than the other. It's still greater no matter how you look at it.

Now, with processors, the "measuring method" could be different, or the work per cycle could be. Either way, a 2.2GHz AMD64+ CPU will be just about a 3.06GHz or 3.2GHz intel CPU (All estimations are made on Athlon64/P4, the generation before last).