Thread: Plexi to Metal?

Default Plexi to Metal?

Alright, I am just about done cutting some holes in my case, next will come the sanding, and then the plexi on the inside...

How the hell do you mount the plexi on the inside?

What if you scratch your surface trying to get it in right?

I would think screws would be the strongest but... what if you crack your plexi? What do you screw it into... the outside panel? Do you rivet it to the inside framework and if so wouldn't there then be a dust attracting space between case and frame?

Liquid nails? JB Weld? Do I need special plexi or will any generic home depot plexi hold up and not melt when the computer gets going?

Help!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Razors Edge

Default Re: Plexi to Metal?

I am EXACTLEY WHERE YOU ARE!!!

Im almost done painting myself, Ask Tybrnis, As much As I go, I don't like him,but the kid knows what hes doin'

As far as I am going, Im ganna do bolts with nuts. Now don't go drill happy on you're plexi, There is a certian way to drill it as plexi WILL CRACK!!!!!!

Also, you can hot glue it. Go to you're pet shop and pick up "Aquarium Glue". Ment to hold stuff liek glass and **** together. Works good. I guess hot glue would work the same?

Default Don't want nuts and bolts...

You're gonna have a bolt head sticking through the side of the case you worked so hard on, unless you bondo over it or shave it down smooth but in either of those cases, now you can never take it off to replace the plexi or whatever...
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

Sexy Hot Nurse ..... NOT!! b4i7's Avatar

you can get some nuts that have a bit of style to them...it doesnt have to be a big bolt on the outside stickin out...

i personally like the look of machine screws...

Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticman View Post
    stunning, how does one tap a hole?

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razors Edge View Post
    Ask Tybrnis, As much As I go, I don't like him,but the kid knows what hes doin'
    Much appreciated.

There are a lot of ways to go about doing this. Acrylic will not melt under the heat of your computer, so don't worry about that.

As for mounting it, many people simply use double sided foam mounting tape. Also, for a real clean look, you could mount it using rubber gasket around the edges of the window, wedging the acrylic into the rubber channel.

You can buy some nice hex bolts or something of the sort and use those. When drilling acrylic, use a higher speed and less pressure. You can use relar bits, but they will crack acrylic if you aren't careful. I recomend simple grinding a flat on each edge of the tip of your drill bits - this turns the cutting into more of a scraping action that is better for plastics.

You could also just screw into it, but I don't recomend that as acrylic cracks easy. You could use bolts and tap the acrylic as well - acrylic is easily tapped and holds threads surprisingly well.

As for rivets, I wouldn't recomend them.

I have also seen people use gorilla glue, superglue, and even silicon caulk. This seems to be a very common question amongst modders, I think most people just overthink it.

Best of luck!
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

I have added windows on almost every computer I owned..

Best way is with pop rivets.. nuts and bolts look cool.. but in the case of several of my past windows.. the bolts catch on the case.. making taking a side panel off a serious pain.

Tapes work.. but look like crap..

Pop rivets are easy to put in.. and will last indefinately.. don't protrude into the case very far..