Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: Big Loud Server

Overclocked

Default Re: Project: Big Loud Server

_very_ impressive. do you do metalwork for a living, or are you just a damned good hobbyist?
    i love the industrial look, bare metal is win

ATX Mental Case

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by ajmilton View Post
    _very_ impressive. do you do metalwork for a living, or are you just a damned good hobbyist?
    i love the industrial look, bare metal is win
    Unfortuantly i'm still an overworked under paid highschool student. My dad taught me a few wood working skills which I have tried to apply to metal but other then that its mostly trial and error. I also have a large workshop set up for originally for wood work but most tools are due purpose, this helps aload getting a good result.

Quote Originally Posted by FyreKnight View Post
    Coming along nicely, your aluminum work is top-notch. I'll look forward to watching this one to completion.

Just one quick question though, the spacing in the HD rack looks pretty tight, how do you intend to get the screws in to secure the drives?

Fyreknight
    Yeah this has been noticed by a few people. As I see it there are to ways this case could be done. Fewer drives large gaps between them so they can be installed/removed with ease, or more drives closer together which are harder to remove. I went with the later, meaning yes the drives have to be installed from the top down and removed in that order but it's not like I take them out very often so this isn't that bigger concern for me.
    A possible future solution to this is to use thumb screws which could be unscrewed from the side with ease, though I'm yet to find readily available thumb screws that are long enough to reach through the 3mm L rail support and still get a strong enough hold on the drive.

OMG thats nice. Heres a neat idea. Install quick releases for the harddrives so that you can just pull them in and out. Also a neat idea would to have a custom HDD cooler prob. made from copper (?maybe a heatsink design?).
    Coffee is love, coffee is life.

Nice work so far, I love the scratch built method. Looking great!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri