Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Xbox 360

Overclocked

Default Re: Xbox 360

Yet again the regulars strike down their iron fists. I can agree. Show 'em no mercy!!!

I think we should post up his IP adress on a hacker site...
    I'm joking ofcourse...
    Or am I?

Do it

Anodized

I ordered BF2 today and while I was in GameStop I saw an ad to order XBOX 360. So I asked the guy how much it was going to cost to get one and he said in the $250 to $350 range. I told him I had seen it would be higher than that and he said they had Microsoft reps in every month or so and that's what the Microsoft guys were telling him. So maybe it will only be a little more expensive than the last consoles. Just thought I'd update everyone.

Overclocked

I find it sooo hard to believe these prices.. If they are true Im going to be loving next generation computer gfx cards etc. I mean for the PS3 to have the power of two 6800's which going for about 250$-400$ and still sell the console for the price of 1 gfx card i find that amazing. Anyways I saw the e3 demo on the ps3 and the xbox 360, first off im not a console fan, nor a pc gamer fan but after counter-strike there really is no other game i play, so i will not be buying either console. But in the demos i feel that the PS3 totally crapped on the xbox 360 for teh gfx in the ps3 were far more substantial. But these were demos, and werent actual games THUS i feel they put ALL the power they could into a small arena and made the gfx look far superior. I was very impressed with several of the new techs they were introdcuing i dont remember what they were called and also kno that the techs were available elsewhere these just seemed alot more superior. I liked how the light would shine thru skin that was my fav. And i really loved the world growing demo that was awsome. I was utterly unimpressed with xbox 360 gfx looked like a more bump mapped version of the xbox although they had 1 game i thought looked awsome not sure which.

Anyways sorry for the clearity int hat message im a bit tired and kind of cramming a bunch of thoughts into 1 paragraph so feel free to discard.

Overclocked

You see what they're trying to do? By kicking up the resolution of games and introducing technology not yet availale for a pc at a lower cost, they are targeting PC users and the general masses who will gladly buy an amazing gaming machine for $300. And I believe the reason they are able to get the cost so low on consoles is simple: Licensing. Microsoft and Sony both have their own proprietary designs for their "mainboard" (the Xbox has a motherboard that resembles an old Socket 370 mobo), so they don't have to pay other manufacturers to design or build their parts. They also use rather cheap 3rd party parts for the lower priority parts.

Games, of course, also account for some of the Microsoft/Sony profits, not to mention marketing/PR, Xbox Live Gold or whatever it'll be called, and Microsoft licesned peripherals and the like. I'm no corporate manager, therfore I don't have all the answers, correct or not.
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

The SlackMeister

i also think that they are not making a lot of money form consoles themselvs. games and all that **** is where all the money is

Overclocked

I really have no idea where theyre making the money, but games sound right. The gaming business is making more money then the movie business which shocks be, I dont kno why because I can understand it.

Very true about them making their own boards etc. But whether this is true or not the power of 2 6800's is about teh 7800, therefore a 600$ gfx card is going into this thing, do monitor "peripherals"(not sure if thats the correct word but the sockets such as dvi) really make the boards so much more expensive(i kno they do not). I mean I honestly can justify myself spending 600$ on a card i think my max is 200$, so in all honesty im curious just how badly eVGA/BFG etc are ripping us off if 600$ can be thrown into a package of 300$. Im still not going to be a console fan I can use the dang joystick for FPS and thats pretty much all i play other then the old games like megman lol.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by sXenoG
    I really have no idea where theyre making the money, but games sound right. The gaming business is making more money then the movie business which shocks be, I dont kno why because I can understand it.

Very true about them making their own boards etc. But whether this is true or not the power of 2 6800's is about teh 7800, therefore a 600$ gfx card is going into this thing, do monitor "peripherals"(not sure if thats the correct word but the sockets such as dvi) really make the boards so much more expensive(i kno they do not). I mean I honestly can justify myself spending 600$ on a card i think my max is 200$, so in all honesty im curious just how badly eVGA/BFG etc are ripping us off if 600$ can be thrown into a package of 300$. Im still not going to be a console fan I can use the dang joystick for FPS and thats pretty much all i play other then the old games like megman lol.
    Well, it may have something to do with the lack of any interface (PCI-e, AGP, etc.) So that gets rid of a lot of extra hardware incorporated onto a PC video card, such as capacitors, resistors and the like. What you are left with is a GPU built directly onto the motherboard. If you've ever taken apart an Xbox, you can see that under the smaller heatsink is the hybrid GForce3/GForce4 GPU and under the larger a typical Socket 370 Celeron with 128KB L2 cache running at 766Mhz. They both lack any type of interface; they're soldered directly onto the board. Now, get rid of all the marketing costs for a seperate video card, like advertising, boxing and shipping, etc. ATI is providing Microsoft with their GPU, so they can slash off all the costs of marketing the GPU; they just make and ship it.
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

Overclocked

Very good points I must say. I still do find it mind boggling tho, that it can be made for so cheap even after those price cuts. I have not opended up my xbox planning to sell it for some extra cash. Im not fan of xbox or playstation. I go an xbox cuz we needed another one at a LAN party and dint want to invite a particular person who had one. As for ps2.. serves me well as my dvd player lol. I really didnt like any of the games on either console. Just never have been a console fan ever since SNES was lost and forgoten.