Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8800 gtx is over kill

Default 8800 gtx is over kill

the nvidia 8800 GTX is too powerful for even todays games.
    the upgrade from a 7900 to a 8800 is a minimal diference in effects, iand will not increase untill more demanding games are produced
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Life is like an analogy...

Default Re: 8800 gtx is over kill

yes, but thats the whole point of the 8800 series. to allow for bigger and better things to come along. think of it as getting ready for things like the unreal 3 engine. it already looks good on the 360, and once it comes out for pc's, if you have an 8800 or the ATI equivalent, you can fiddle with antialiasing and HDR without fear of ruining the frame rate.

the 8800 wont be "too powerful" for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

*nods* That's why I have my BFG 7950 GTX, I can't wait for UT2K7
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

direct x10 woohoo!

Since the 8800 was basically built for DX10, and DX10 is technically not out yet, its kind of a leap to say its overkill. Thats like saying my 7900GT is overkill for Half-life, of course it is! As Slug said, once the DX10 games start coming out, it won't be too powerfull for long at all!! I don't know if anyone has checked out this video but it really shows off DX10 and why you will not only need one but, want a DX10 capable card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetnKgOxrSI

Enjoy!!

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

LOL

He almost got smooshed! :p

I have to admit, that looks pretty amazing! I still ain't forking up $200+ dollars to play a video game though. ^^
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I think I'll be just fine with my 7900GS for at least a lil' while I hope.
    And yea, that looks truly amazing! I especially like the water rendering, such a step-up from the ex-amazing Farcry water
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

Life is like an analogy...

yep the water looks good. i just hope they have running water. the first running water ive seen is gears of war, and its not bad either. they have it LOOKING good, now lets see how long it takes for them to get it acting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

true true, im sure in the near future, the 8800 will be on my wish list on newegg
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Dude...totally!

upgrading from the high ond of one generation to the next has never really shown ungodly differences that you could not game without. yes the 8800 is overpowered to play HL2, but try running what they were running on a 7900 and i bet you itll look horrible compared to that, it it even runs. it prolly needs DX10