Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hard Drive?

Default Which Hard Drive?

I am thinking about buying a couple hard drives and setting them up RAID 0. I am having trouble choosing between two hard drives.

1. Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

OR

2. Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160811AS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

They are both same price, but what company would you guys reccomend, Seagate or Western Digital
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

Default Re: Which Hard Drive?

It's really a personal choice. Both are good companies with solid reputations. Personally, I use seagate.

I have a samsung right now but my last computer had WD and i never had any problems with it.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

I use both. I means WD, Seagate and the RIP Maxtor. All good drives, but the WD are a bit louder then the others...

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

Fear

My suggestion is the seagate. Seagates last longer then any other drive, and lets not forget seagates 5 year warranty. I can personally vouch for Seagate, and I had over 15 seagates... all worked to there best potentiel.

I've had more than one WD crap out on me after few hours..although i love the raptors..just my 2cent
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

I recommend western digital over segate even though I have seen neither fail.
    Need a sig

Anodized

I'd take the WD over Poogate

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

I've never had a WD go bad on me out of the three that I have owned in the past. But of everyone I know at either Best Buy or at other stores such as that, they all seem to lean more towards Seagate. Seagate has the 5yr. warranty and they are silent drives from what I hear. As for WD, the ones that I owned were louder than my dearly departed Maxtor (took it apart lol) and my current one which is my dads.

I would say, which ever one you buy, you won't be disappointed anytime soon other than from bad luck and/or user error.

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Overclocked

I bought a Seagate a few years back, and it was dead out of the box. Well, not dead, but it just didn't hold the data. I could install windows, then on a reboot, it be corrupted. I returned it and got another, and this one works, but occasionally it makes a nasty click (similar to what the first one did).