Thread: Abit AW9D-MAX AudioMax Sound Card

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Abit AW9D-MAX AudioMax Sound Card

I am about to purchase this board and i have a always known about the audio max card but while looking at my friends older abit mobo with audio max i realised that you connect your cd drive to the card. This is fine for him because he only has one drive but i have 2. I have a CD-RW as my Primary and a DVD-RW as my secondary. Does it matter which drive i connect to the card? I use my DVD drive more than my cd drive and i was wondering if i connect one drive to the card will i get any sound out of the other or will it be mute. Will they both sound the same?

Noobish, but Trying.

Default Re: Abit AW9D-MAX AudioMax Sound Card

To the best of my knowledge the audio connector from CD/DVD drives to audio cards is mostly redundant and is only actually used if you play an audio cd directly from the drive by pressing play (on the drive itself if it even has one), if you are using software (like Windows Media Player or WinAMP) then the data is being transfered through the IDE bus and the PCI bus anyways so there would be no difference. Anyone who knows better feel free to correct me but this is how I understand it.

I just tested it on my own system, SB Audigy ZS ... disconnected the audio cables from CD/DVD drives, popped in an audio cd and presto...it sounded no different to my ears through my BOSE speakers than it did with the audio cables connected. IMO the audio cables are leftover from the old days ... but of course you did notice the part where I had to disconnect them to test it, guess I'm stuck in the past too.

Hope this was helpful.

Peace

FyreKnight

Dude...totally!

Are you talking about that cord that goes from the CD-rom to the sound card? if so, i dont think its important. i honestly cannot remember the last time i hooked one of those up. not since at least late 90s, heh

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Thanks. I was only asking because i managed to slice my cable on the edge of the case and was wondering if i had to buy one.