Thread: Side window etching

ATX Mental Case

Default Side window etching

Hey guys, these are the tools I have:

Knives
    Sand Paper
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811144103
    1/8' DIE GRINDER, 110V, 60 HZ, 130 W, 8000-3000 RPMS.
    Plenty of bits

I don't know how to use the dremel grinder thing. Is it good quality? I can't figure out how to put the bit in (don't flame please.) How do i put in the bit?

So I wan't to etch a large A into the case and under each of the _ parts on the bottom of the A I will right ARDEN and ARNOLD (my name.) I need it to look PERFECT. I mean immaculate corners, completely straight. What is t he best way to do this? This is my first mod.

Noobish, but Trying.

Default Re: Side window etching

Perfect? You NEED it to be PERFECT? Hmmm, first time using a dremel ... needs absolute perfection ... thinking ... ... ... Ahaha, Eureka! In all honesty there is no way that anyone can tell you how to achieve perfection. What I can suggest is PRACTICE, lots and lots of practice on something other than your case. Some scrap pieces of metal, plastic, acrylic, or even wood. Get a feel for how the thing cuts. Use a straight edge as a guide to make perfect straight lines, but practice lots first. For perfect corners and edges on a letter "A", I would use masking tape to lay out the shape, and use a straight edge and a scribe to make the outlines. Starting in the corners and scribing halfway on each straight line in order to avoid accidentally overrunning the line. Then I would use the dremel to fill in the outlines.

Most important of all is practice, practice, practice, and when you think you've got a handle on it practice a little more. It'll pay off in the end.

Now as to the question of how to install the bit in your dremel, the manual explains much, but if you want us to tell you how some pics of the device would be greatly helpful.

Hope this helps, and don't forget the pics of your work

Peace
    FyreKnight

PS. And for God sakes, don't forget to wear safety gear! (Safety glasses, and a dust mask at the very least.)

Life is like an analogy...

if this is your first time, it wont be perfect. dremels have a nice tendency to wander all over if you dont have a good grip and nerves of steel. something about the fast spinning action... one mistake sends everything flying out of control and then you have this ugly line across the whole sheet. ive done that a couple times on small practice pieces.

for beginners stuff that needs to be perfect, i would suggest scratching in an outline with your knives, and then using sandpaper to scratch up the inner parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

ATX Mental Case

k, thanks for the advice. i wear bifocals so i got glasses covered, ill wear a dust mask or respirator....i will post pics when i post my project, i dont have the manual...)-;

Uh, prescription glasses aren't safety glasses. The first time something breaks through or cracks the lens you learn that lesson. I'm saving you the pain or problems caused by that. Spend a few bucks, get safety gear.

As for etching, you need LOTS of practice like the other guys said.
    I've been practicing some etch work about twice a week for a month or so and I still am sucking hard using a dremel. Scrap metal works great, is super cheap and gives you the ability to learn how to make your designs the way you want without pressure of it being perfect.

As for putting a bit in, I think pictures are in order. I don't think any of us can help you without knowing what you're looking at.

Did you buy the case yet?

ATX Mental Case

yeppers