Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux?

Default Re: Linux?

Ok. First things first. "Sudo" is not absolute root. To become root completely, do either "su" or "sudo su". Then, your terminal will say "root@whatever :$". Not just "blah@whatever :$" or whatever it looks like (on Windows right now..).

Next. You want to type in the EXACT name of the file. Sometimes, when cd'ing to a directory, I have to do
    Code:
    $ cd /home/"username"/desktop/Blah/Blah
    and type the WHOLE path to the file, even if it's contained within 20 other folders.

So, what you might want to try to do is...
    Code:
    sudo su
    Complete root-ness.
    Code:
    nautilus /media/(drive name)
    This will open up a window with the contents of the device.

Since you are "root", you should be able to copy the .iso to your desktop (or wherever) and it will be on your hard drive.

Edit: Also, I have no idea where your drive is located. It may be /dev or /media or some other name, I really don't know. Try opening your home directory and look to the left; its got a bunch of other places to access, and I think your CD drive might be one of them. If it is, then open it up, and copy the .iso to your desktop.
    Last edited by .Maleficus.; 12-19-2006 at 09:12 PM. Reason: May be more helpful
    RIP Bucko

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

lol You know what, I'll just put it this way.

.iso bored of this ****.

This is more of a pain in my butt than what it is worth. But I do still have a question, on boot up, why can't I select my CD drive as priority boot?? It's not even listed in there anymore... ?

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    lol You know what, I'll just put it this way.

.iso bored of this ****.

This is more of a pain in my butt than what it is worth. But I do still have a question, on boot up, why can't I select my CD drive as priority boot?? It's not even listed in there anymore... ?

-SnowFire
    Is the bios still pointing to the CD as the primary boot device?

SnowFire, The issues you are having is why Linux has not really caught on like it should. Simple issues like this impede the progress of an otherwise good OS.

I know I am jumping in late on this, but I have never run KDE and wanted to look some **** up. I believe that in one of the menu panels (under system I think) there is a disk manager type of option. This should allow you to mount the CD and open it up lust like on windows. In fact it should automagically mount the cd when you load it in the drive. load the cd, and at a shell prompt type in "mount" without the quotes and see if you see it mounted. Let me know what you see and we can go from there.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

So funny story...

I connected the Floppy Drive cable but I forgot to connect the CD-ROM Drive cable. ><

So I have it on priority boot now, but it won't boot the cd on priority. I am guessing it has something to do with the CD I am using. But when I go into the home folder, yeah, nothing. Oh wait, there is something, I have 2 floppy drives now. ...? lol what happened to the CD drive? It wasn't connected and it showed up, now its connected and it doesnt show up. Psh, no wonder you pay so much for windows. lol

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    So funny story...

I connected the Floppy Drive cable but I forgot to connect the CD-ROM Drive cable. ><

So I have it on priority boot now, but it won't boot the cd on priority. I am guessing it has something to do with the CD I am using. But when I go into the home folder, yeah, nothing. Oh wait, there is something, I have 2 floppy drives now. ...? lol what happened to the CD drive? It wasn't connected and it showed up, now its connected and it doesnt show up. Psh, no wonder you pay so much for windows. lol

-SnowFire
    ...What?

It won't boot the cd on priority? What do you mean? After the POST screen, or what?

2 Floppy drives? I really have no idea why that would show up, but I know in Windows when I was trying to get a computer running, it showed my CD drive as a floppy drive. Then I just Uninstalled Windows cause it was gay and Ubuntu was free.

Pay so much for Windows? No, Microsoft just does that because they know, no matter what, people will use Windows. Nobody wants to take the time to learn anything new. Once you know Windows, it's harder to take the dive into the deep pool of Linux. But once you do, it's worth the extra time.
    RIP Bucko

Actually I got it working yesterday, but I was too tired to post. But yeah, I don't even remember what the heck I did to get it to work. I think whispering that I was going to kill its family helped though... What? I'm not crazy! o.O

Thanks for the help guys! I most certainly would of been forever doomed without your guidance! ...and hey, I learned alot too! *cough* Stabs Ubuntu *cough*

-SnowFire

Well, since were speaking about Linux already, Im gonna ask a question:
    How come I am unable to run ANY (Slax/gnoppix/ubuntu/kubuntu) live linux distro on my pc? When I boot from the CD, it just gets stuck at some point.
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

What point?

This could be graphics. If you have ATI graphics, they don't get on as well with Linux as Intel or NVidea would.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Nope, not ATI, eVGA 7900GS.

When ubuntu loads, it gets stuck after some hell of a lot of some codes, which make no sense to me.
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

Unfortunately, you can also get banned from WoW for playing it on Linux. It's an issue with Warden, Blizzard's controversial anti botting software. Basically, Linux users may send a false positive to Blizz. And unfortunately, Blizz is pretty tough about giving you your account back after they ban you, though I have heard of a couple of people getting theirs back after being banned while running on Linux.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::