Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I think I killed my computer... X((

Default Re: I think I killed my computer... X((

So sad, a nice rig
    Well, if everything turn right, look like you're gonna have anothr chrismas gift... And the greatest part of a build is the build in itself.

Merry Xmax (this santa is fun )

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

tinfoil-underwear

Quote Originally Posted by slytherock View Post
    So sad, a nice rig
    Well, if everything turn right, look like you're gonna have anothr chrismas gift... And the greatest part of a build is the build in itself.

Merry Xmax (this santa is fun )
    Great attitude man!!!

Very true.... the greatest part of the build is the build in itself.
    Now I get to do it all over again... maybe.
    And having another xMas?! w00 w00t!

I'm going to send my eMail to ASUS today... If I don't get a reply by Friday, well, NewEgg... here I come.

Thanks guys... I'm still clinging to hope of something working... but... oh well....
    !

damn dude that relle sucks everyone has posted all of the stuff i could think of already, good luck

ps. this is why i went with dfi... because with dfi rma is not in my mobo vocabulary lol
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

tinfoil-underwear

Quote Originally Posted by armadilloben View Post
    damn dude that relle sucks everyone has posted all of the stuff i could think of already, good luck
    Hey Ben,
    Thanks for stopping by, and the help, anyways!

UPDATE:::
    I came home, and decided to try it again.
    So, I unplugged EVERYTHING.
    Then, I removed the video card.
    Did the BIOS reset procedure.
    Inserted the video card... one RAM stick... no cd.

The computer beeped, rebooted, beeped some more, then it gave me a slightly different screen than other times, but with the "CMOS Checksum Bad" message.
    So, I hit F1 to enter SETUP.

I WAS ABLE TO GET INTO THE BIOS SCREEN!!!
    w00t!

Anyways, everything I saw as 'stock'.
    Automatic this and that.
    2.4GHz.
    etc. etc.

So, I went here and there to make sure I wasn't seeing anything un-usual, and I saved settings and exited.

The computer rebooted, and damn it, I left the hdd power and data cable plugged in.
    It just went into the same loop.

MY TAKE on it:::: the problem is with the ASUS windows overclocking software.
    I believe that when you make a modification with the software in windows, the program saves it at the start of the hdd... like a 'BIOS flash/update'.

So, I think the ASUS windows program screwed up... and now the hdd, instead of having 'default settings', is loading 'overclocked settings' into the BIOS.
    Which causes it to reboot (without deleting the modified settings @ hdd).
    Which causes it to revert to ""stock"" settings. (these stock settings, I believe, are *not* the basic ones)
    Which causes it to reboot once again.
    etc. etc.

Probably experience members are reading this and their faces are something like this:::

But, I don't know... that's just my hunch.
    (( but it couldn't be... because it still does the problem with hdd unplugged ))

So, I tried the same procedure again about removing the video card, etc. etc. etc.
    But it went into the loop again.

Arghhh... bad thing is, I've got a meeting. I'm going to work on it later today.
    I'll update as soon as I get back home.
    At least we're getting somewhere now.

That, and I was able to send the eMail off to ASUS.
    Something tells me I'm going to get a Hey, it isn't our motherboard! response from them, even though I sent them a friendly and open eMail.
    Shucks...

But again, we're getting somewhere!

Peace guys, I'll update soon
    AJ

Overclocked

AFAIK, the overclocking is a bios setting.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ@PR View Post
    Hey Ben,
    Thanks for stopping by, and the help, anyways!

UPDATE:::
    I came home, and decided to try it again.
    So, I unplugged EVERYTHING.
    Then, I removed the video card.
    Did the BIOS reset procedure.
    Inserted the video card... one RAM stick... no cd.

The computer beeped, rebooted, beeped some more, then it gave me a slightly different screen than other times, but with the "CMOS Checksum Bad" message.
    So, I hit F1 to enter SETUP.

I WAS ABLE TO GET INTO THE BIOS SCREEN!!!
    w00t!

Anyways, everything I saw as 'stock'.
    Automatic this and that.
    2.4GHz.
    etc. etc.

So, I went here and there to make sure I wasn't seeing anything un-usual, and I saved settings and exited.

The computer rebooted, and damn it, I left the hdd power and data cable plugged in.
    It just went into the same loop.

MY TAKE on it:::: the problem is with the ASUS windows overclocking software.
    I believe that when you make a modification with the software in windows, the program saves it at the start of the hdd... like a 'BIOS flash/update'.

So, I think the ASUS windows program screwed up... and now the hdd, instead of having 'default settings', is loading 'overclocked settings' into the BIOS.
    Which causes it to reboot (without deleting the modified settings @ hdd).
    Which causes it to revert to ""stock"" settings. (these stock settings, I believe, are *not* the basic ones)
    Which causes it to reboot once again.
    etc. etc.

Probably experience members are reading this and their faces are something like this:::

But, I don't know... that's just my hunch.
    (( but it couldn't be... because it still does the problem with hdd unplugged ))

So, I tried the same procedure again about removing the video card, etc. etc. etc.
    But it went into the loop again.

Arghhh... bad thing is, I've got a meeting. I'm going to work on it later today.
    I'll update as soon as I get back home.
    At least we're getting somewhere now.

That, and I was able to send the eMail off to ASUS.
    Something tells me I'm going to get a Hey, it isn't our motherboard! response from them, even though I sent them a friendly and open eMail.
    Shucks...

But again, we're getting somewhere!

Peace guys, I'll update soon
    AJ

whenever i have mobo problems i always check every single jumper in the case. i have ADD so things like this happen: i have two hdds in slave on the same channel "why arent my hard drives working....." or "DAAAADDDD i put the mobo into the case and quadruple checked everything but i cant get the pc to power" "YOU FORGOT TO PUT IN THE STANDOFFS AND FRIED THE MOBO!!!!!!!!!" *smashes head against wall multiple times* leading me to buying my brand new current setup with no rediculous mistakes so id say check the jumpers

last resort being make a dart board or toilet paper that says "asus customer support loves you":p
    check out my pc on youtube
    sorry for the lack of a decent video it was late

wow my sig sucks.. ha

tinfoil-underwear

whenever i have mobo problems i always check every single jumper in the case. i have ADD so things like this happen: i have two hdds in slave on the same channel "why arent my hard drives working....." or "DAAAADDDD i put the mobo into the case and quadruple checked everything but i cant get the pc to power" "YOU FORGOT TO PUT IN THE STANDOFFS AND FRIED THE MOBO!!!!!!!!!" *smashes head against wall multiple times* leading me to buying my brand new current setup with no rediculous mistakes so id say check the jumpers
    Well, I checked all jumpers... and they are all in their correct positions.

I don't know what the heck's wrong.
    And she *did* work for 3-4 days before doing this.

last resort being make a dart board or toilet paper that says "asus customer support loves you":p
    Don't rule that out yet...

As it stands right now... I'm just waiting for ASUS' reply to my eMail.
    I'll keep this updated.

Peace
    AJ

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Yeah man, DFI is top quality. If I were you, I'd rather get a refund and just buy a new board. I've abused my DFI board, overclocked it a bit too far (the fixed the problem, but always, ALWAYS, know your limits), and actually had an ESD on this board too.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I've never heard of an ASUS board acting this way.

The overclocking utility is in the bios and stock is another way to say standard. When/if you get back into the bios, my suggestion would be restoring everything to default settings just to be sure.

It doesn't sound like anything inside your bios is the actual problem. Between it not displaying, the cmos checksum error, it sounds like either the bios is corrupted or the eeprom is pooched.

One short speaker beep is the normal POST code and means that the basic test of your hardware is that it's working.

I would suggest starting an RMA on monday with newegg or ASUS because this isn't an issue that a run of the mill user is expected to know or fix with or without support.

I'm sure we could guide you through flashing your bios, but it might void your warranty.
    The only thing you need to send back to the manufacturer is the motherboard. Everything else should work.

Another idea is that the processor isn't giving heat to the heatsink. You mentioned grey strips, that's thermal tape. Did you remove the plastic from it before you attached the heatsink?

You should scrape off the thermal tape and use Artic Silver when you get a new mobo. You only need a rice grain or so and spread it around with your covered finger. It doesn't take much and you will notice a drastic difference in your temps. There is a warning that I should mention. Once used, it's very hard to remove without buying the chemical remover for it.

Good luck dude.

tinfoil-underwear

Quote Originally Posted by nil8 View Post
    I would suggest starting an RMA on monday with newegg or ASUS because this isn't an issue that a run of the mill user is expected to know or fix with or without support.
    The only thing you need to send back to the manufacturer is the motherboard. Everything else should work.
    Another idea is that the processor isn't giving heat to the heatsink. You mentioned grey strips, that's thermal tape. Did you remove the plastic from it before you attached the heatsink?
    1st, you're right... a 'run of the mill user' wouldn't be trying all these things we're trying... and I'm just giving them more ammo to say it was my fault.
    Unless ASUS tells me of a Miracle Button on their boards, I think I'm RMAing ASAP.

2nd- Sending back the mobo only::: I've got until Dec30 to return everything.
    It might be a little tight on the scheduling.
    What if it ain't the mobo?
    Shouldn't I just send back 'everything' (mobo, proc, ram, video card)?
    What do you think?

3rd- grey strips... thermal tape... plastic before attachement...
    Oh-o... erm... um... oh-o....
    Ok ok, ok... Let me get this straight::::
    'Plastic'?
    As in a plastic 'sheath' or something?
    I'm worried now.
    I remember the thermal tape (three strips) didn't have anything on them... they looked like I could 'smear them' if I touched them. I didn't touch them, so I'm unsure.
    Or is it a plastic on the bottom of the heat sink?
    I'm positive the heat sink didn't have a plastic 'sheath', or 'cover', or 'peel-before-installation'.

So, to recap:::
    Heat sink --- I'm sure that 'no'.
    Grey strips --- well, is this plastic clearly visible? I see the posibility of it slipping by me... but, diggitty damn!! I can't be *that* stupid...

Thanks for the support guys... I'm very grateful for all your help.
    In the past, I would have thrown the mobo into the ocean already.
    The proc, I would have drilled from side to side so I could attach it in my key chain.
    The RAM sticks, I would have snapped open to see 'what they have inside'.
    And the video card, I would have ripped apart to take the nifty heatsink/fan out.
    (( just kiddin' ))

I'll keep this updated.
    Thanks for all the help!!!
    AJ