Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: best pc games?

ATX Mental Case

Default best pc games?

hey guys, i havent been able to play pc games for yrs...just been kickin' along on low settings of halo1...but in a week or two that will all chagne my question is what games should i get for pc...im planning on:

half life two
    splinter cell da
    americas army

any other good ones?

Default Re: best pc games?

Oblivion, Dark Messiah of Might and magic...boy, you have some catching up to do. Not having played Half Life 2...i think the FBI can take you away for that now.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Dude...totally!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    ...i think the FBI can take you away for that now.

-Dave
    Only in certain states. I think some southern states are a bit behind on that.

Either way, you need to put it on your "to-play" list. I suggest getting a steam account. Through that you can purchase classic series' like Half-Life(each comes with the corresponding version of CS), Day of Defeat, Call of Duty, etc.

If your looking for MMORPG, you can't pass up World of Warcraft. The Burning Crusade Expansion for World of Warcraft is coming out sometime Q1 next year, January I believe. I guess Everquest 2 also fill that gap, though I was never a fan myself. Oblivion is a straight forward RPG, looks incredible on high end machines.

Then of course you have Battlefield 2142, Need for Speed: Carbon, and a slew of other "big-name" franchise games who just released a more recent, more graphically intense version of the same game they released 2 years ago. Some are surprisingly good despite of how quickly they dished it out.

Battlefield 2142
    Most of the guys from the Comp Sci department are currently hooked on this game. You can tell who because they look like death every day due to giving up sleep to play. During the day, we have too much work to do. At night, it's either gaming time or sleeping time.

It must be good, but i don't think i want to get hooked on it quite yet. Maybe after i've done all my work.

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

HL2, CS:S, Prey, NFS:Carbon was quite fun, TOCA3
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Most of the guys from the Comp Sci department are currently hooked on this game. You can tell who because they look like death every day due to giving up sleep to play. During the day, we have too much work to do. At night, it's either gaming time or sleeping time.

It must be good, but i don't think i want to get hooked on it quite yet. Maybe after i've done all my work.

-Dave
    Didn't know you could see through my webcam Dave!

Yes it is addictive. I am truly impressed with the improvement in load times and smoothness of the game. Better out of the box than BF2 is after all the patches.

Splinter Cell is always good. I usually have to do the missions twice so I can see all the detail without the night vision goggles.

Boy oh boy, "best" is a hard thing to put your finger on. For RTS games you have to get Lord of the Rings, Battle for Middle Earth. You also need to get the sequel, MfME2 and its expansion, Witch King.

Lego Star Wars II is a sidescroller/platformer that had me hooked for a while. It is a very refined game.

Halflife 2 is a must. While you are at it you might as well get episode 1, episode 2 is supposed to be better but isn't out yet.

Day of Defeat, Call of Duty. If you are looking for a really good game, get Maniac Mansion or Another World. They are pretty much the best ever. haha.

i'd say for RTS, go for Dawn of War. Specificly the latest expansion, Dark Crusade. Instead of a story line like most RTS games, it gives you a more Risk-esque experience. There are stories for the races, but it isn't what really drives the game. You'll be able to play all races in single player, but only the two newest online if you don't have the other DoW titles.

But I wasn't a big fan of LotR:middle earth.

Evil Genius is an often over looked little gem that you can find for $5 nowadays. Similar to Dungeon Keeper. You build your base, send out henchmen, etc, all while building up to your doomsday device. Agents try to stop you, etc, etc. Alot of fun if you like the building type games.

Supreme Commander is coming out next year. The Beta is going on right now. Possibly the most complicated RTS game ever. The scale is incredible. Check out the trailers and pics. please. i can't justify it in words. when i play... i'm sure my brain is going to melt from trying to keep up.

When it comes to overlooked "gems" there's a couple that stand out for me in particular. For starters, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment. Arcanum is a semi Victorian Steam-Punk RPG, Magic and Technology trees and a basically classless system where you just explore each tree and make your character as you see fit. Planescape is another of those odd RPG gems that just kinda fell under the radar, it's another D&D game but it was overshadowed by Baldur's Gate 2 and Diablo 2. First off, you can flip-flop between classes as the need arises on the fly. Your main character is a heavilly scarred immortal trying to piece together the loose fragments of his existence and find out who he really is. Along the way you form a part out of strange characters, a Succubus, a floating skull named Morte, even a multi armed Robot.

As for others, I still really enjoy the old Civ games, Civ II still holds its own. Dawn of War as stated above is still one of my favorite strategy games. Mark of Chaos really could be a contender, if Namco had actually shipped a working game.

FEAR of course, and Extraction Point are some definite faves.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    I am truly impressed with the improvement in load times and smoothness of the game. Better out of the box than BF2 is after all the patches.
    It better be! Bf2 ran horrible on my computer, really buggy. For a good game that nobody mentioned yet, I would get Medieval total war, Its successor was also very good.