Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Soon I shall have my 8800GTX, hopefully

Default Soon I shall have my 8800GTX, hopefully

Ever since it was first released, I've been waiting in line with eVGA to step-up to an 8800GTX (from a 7950GX2). I'm currently #82 in the queue, and just scanned and uploaded my invoice. So hopefully it will all come to me soon. Of course, I won't be able to use my computer while I send out my 7950 and wait for my 8800 to arrive, that's the worst part.

*waits*

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

Default Re: Soon I shall have my 8800GTX, hopefully

The only problem is is that by the time dx10 comes out in use, your 8800gtx will be old news and outdated, and your 7950gx2 gets the same performance as the 8800. so.. in a sense, its almost a waste...but.. thats just my humble opinion.

I am getting a 7950 GT for Christmas. Should I not? I can't afford much more than that card right now so waiting for a dx10 card is most likely out of the question.
    I prefer nvidia to ati.

Any suggestions?
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects"

Robert A. Heinlein

But by doing this now, I get all of the money back that I payed for the 7950GX2. And I get to have DirectX10.

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    But by doing this now, I get all of the money back that I payed for the 7950GX2. And I get to have DirectX10.

well.. if you get your money back for your gx2, then its pretty much worth it cause they cost roughly the same right. so.. I guess that would make your deal a good one

i just dont like seeing other people getting screwed, so.. im only trying to help and maybe make people see both sides of every deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironcat View Post
    I am getting a 7950 GT for Christmas. Should I not? I can't afford much more than that card right now so waiting for a dx10 card is most likely out of the question.
    I prefer nvidia to ati.

Any suggestions?
    a 7950 with 512mb is an EXCELLENT choice. they are affordable and get awesome framerates. Trust me, you wont be dissapointed. Nvidia is the better choice anyway, mostly due to ati's crappy drivers issue that they cant seem to resolve. and like i said before, getting a dx10 card now would be a waste of money really. itll be outdated by they time you will get to use the dx10 capabilities of it.

a 7950 is def the best choice for performance/cost. I suggest stayin away from bfg and other lower end manufacturers. I trust evga, asus, and xfx. Ive always heard positive things from those companies.

Hope this helps.

Well what I payed for the 7950GX2 is the same as what the 8800GTS costs. I went for the GTX however.

Case Wizard

In my opinion, I like the choice you made. It is true that you won't be able to utilize the full potential of DX10 since the games won't be hitting the shelves for a while. But, that doesn't mean the performance is the same as the 7950GX2. The 7950GX2 was a cool idea, but I felt that it didn't live up to my expectations in the benchmarks. Now that the 8 series came out, I think that the quad sli product is dead. Sure, you may have SLI on a single card. But, it doesn't perform nearly as well as a single 8800GTX.

Frame rates aside, there are other very good things that the 8 series brings. It has a different texture filtering, which means a more sharp image.

Also, a big factor in this purchase is EVGA's Step-Up Program. It isn't like he is just throwing away his old card and paying the full price of a 8800GTX. The 7950GX2 keeps its full retail value when selling it back to EVGA and you only pay the difference.

Anyways, I hope you will be happy with your upgrade DaJe! I'll be stepping up to a 8800GTX from my 7950gt later.

How much later? You only have 90 days from when you purchased it in which to do it. And sure, by the time DirectX10 is being used more, better cards will be out. But that can be said about any card. It's like saying don't even bother with DirectX 9 cards either, because something better is there. Better things will always come along. My 8800GTX will still hold out for a while. I could always get another one and use SLI too.

Well you're right about SLI not beating the new 8800GTX. I saw some benchmarks which showed the 8800GTX put up against the newest ATI model in crossfire (i dunno the exact model, i don't follow ATI ) and a 7900GTX in SLI (which has been proven to beat the 7950GX2 in SLI) and the 8800GTX pretty much stole the spotlight in most tests. However there have been some 1 / 2 fps loses to the ATI rig but that's not noticable to the eye.

Overall 8800GTX = Good
    ATI = *buzzer sound*