Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: liquid wiring

Default Re: liquid wiring

it youd be hard to make reasonable sized ide cables like this unless you have 1337 skills in miniturization
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

Life is like an analogy...

and your talking like gold is impossible to get as an electrode... buy a cheap gold plated earring, same with platinum or silver.
    ok, you have a point there. i honestly wasnt thinking in those terms, i was thinking about getting solid gold rods or something. yes you could probably get some cheap gold plated stuff, but the risk with that is the metal underneath could actually corrode because the plating may be too thin. i had a pack of those gold plated studs, and they rusted because the plating wasnt good enough.

again.. one small thing. silver isnt inert like gold and platinum. in fact, theres something called the tollens test to check for aldehydes, and it forms an explosive mixture with silver precipitate in it.

so, intergalacticman, that design you have looks alright. heres a suggestion though. having the sealant on the end of the electrode is basically putting an insulator there. youd be much better off having the sealant on the sides of the electrode. i mean... with the sealant on the end you're cutting off the electrical connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy View Post

so, intergalacticman, that design you have looks alright. heres a suggestion though. having the sealant on the end of the electrode is basically putting an insulator there. youd be much better off having the sealant on the sides of the electrode. i mean... with the sealant on the end you're cutting off the electrical connection.
    well it was kinda supposed to go around the copper ,not go between the mercury and the copper, its mainly to stop any deadly outbreaks of mercury flooding
    "We did not choose to become robots. There was an accident in our studio. We were working on our sampler, and at exactly 9:09 a.m. on September 9, 1999, it exploded. When we regained consciousness, we discovered that we had become robots."
    -Daft Punk

i know, because as soon as mercury gets out... all hell breaks loose. circuits fry, swarms of locusts show up, meteors come raining down, and everyone in the world just... catches fire.

im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

The mercury if it leaks will react with the aluminum in you case and make a nice big hole. But that would be the least of you problems because if you got a whiff of it you go mad and die.
    Need a sig

nah its not that bad... mercury doest just fume away at room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy View Post
    nah its not that bad... mercury doest just fume away at room temperature.
    I was under the impression it did.

Now that I look at wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury_%28element%29

It ways the boiling point is 356.73 degrees. or 674.11 fahrenheit.

I was under the impression it did produce fumes at room temperature. Hmm
    Need a sig

maybe just a VERY tiny bit. its just like how water will still evaporate even if it isnt boiling. in this case its probably even less than water because mercury really likes to stick together.

Yeah like when you drop a thermometer and there are all those little beeds.

But wasn't the reason the mad hatter was mad because he polished his hat with mercury and inhaled it?

They talked about using mercury in a liquid cooling system in an atomic magazine. But it would be expensive and dangerous.

Here is something really cool. It is a fountain surrounded by glass. But instead of water in the fountain it is mercury.

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/pix.../Almaden1.html
    Need a sig

well the mad hatter term came about because thats what they used to treat beaver pelts with to make those top hats. it wasnt inhalation, it was just absorption through the skin from handling the pelts. believe it or not you can get mercury poisoning after you handle it for long enough (long as in years... not minutes).