Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Sponsored...

Water Cooled

Default Re: Getting Sponsored...

well I don't get paid to game. But I must say that I find the lack of interest in what makes your gaming possible is a bit disheartening. I tend to be teh type who takes a keen interest in what makes my hobbies (or employment) tick. No matter who else was in charge of making sure I was up and running. Maybe it's just me.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    well I don't get paid to game. But I must say that I find the lack of interest in what makes your gaming possible is a bit disheartening. I tend to be teh type who takes a keen interest in what makes my hobbies (or employment) tick. No matter who else was in charge of making sure I was up and running. Maybe it's just me.
    I understand what you mean on that ... but I do run into that attaude with the line of work I am in so I also can see where he is coming from. I am a Unix programmer by day and I know more about the Hardware than any of my other co workers. There thoughts are " I dont need to know that ... you have that covered ". But is also comes down to it. I am able to Identify what area is causing a problem than thinking the slow compression/ encryption is the way it should be.

I Guess it all comes down to what do you like the most ?? AMD or Intel procs.
    ATI or Nvida for Graphics?

May want to wait on the request and get a Dual Core machine.

FX

It's great to hear more people are getting sponsored to game, and if you're good enough to get a sponsor, my hat's off to you. Asking for help is good, but know you're opening yourself up to get flamed by people for a variety of reasons.

Saying that, it's not important what other people think, however, you should know what you're driving well enough to be able to get the results you're after. Graphics, motherboard, processor; they all play a vital role in maximizing the results you're after, and although you don't need to be a technician, you should have a good understanding of the parts you're going to need to get the best results.

As a gamer, I'd recommend AMD and nVidia, as they're tuned more to gamers than anything. Use high performance ram from a company such as OZC or Mushkin, your hard drives should be 10,000 RPM drives, as being able to access information faster helps reduce latency. As good as CRT monitors go, using an LCD with a great refresh rate will benefit the mobility of your system. If you're going to be moving your system a lot, get yourself a set of Xbags (www.xbags.com) to carry your system in. I have yet to find anything like them, and for those that are interested in case carryiers, we will be doing a review on the Xbags line of PC carriers in the near future.

Power is the other concern you should have. The stability of your system is primarily based on how dependable and stable your supply of power is. There are many companies that sell PSU's, but only a few of them have dependable power supplies.

One other note. The professional gamers I know, don't use large resolutions with high detailing, they use 800x600 with mid to low detail to maintain high frame rates in games with lots of things going on on screen. It's those of us who play in our homes and offices that go for the highest detailing and large resolutions. With that being said, one graphics card should be enough for you, but make sure it has all the features you're going to need. Don't just go for the best overall card, go for the best gaming card you can get. If this is a gaming system, make it a gaming system, not something you're going to use photoshop, flash, or burn MP3's and DVD's on.

Good luck with this, and hope everything works out well for you.

Anodized

Check out the front page for a link to upgrading your computer for $1000. It should get you some ideas about computers and gives you some good components and the reasons why you should get them. All you would really have to do is get a better processor and shazaam! Your system is done. Well the stuff you don't know much about anyway. Add hard drives and optical drives and a case and your in like flinn.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Scarab
    It's great to hear more people are getting sponsored to game, and if you're good enough to get a sponsor, my hat's off to you. Asking for help is good, but know you're opening yourself up to get flamed by people for a variety of reasons.

Saying that, it's not important what other people think, however, you should know what you're driving well enough to be able to get the results you're after. Graphics, motherboard, processor; they all play a vital role in maximizing the results you're after, and although you don't need to be a technician, you should have a good understanding of the parts you're going to need to get the best results.

As a gamer, I'd recommend AMD and nVidia, as they're tuned more to gamers than anything. Use high performance ram from a company such as OZC or Mushkin, your hard drives should be 10,000 RPM drives, as being able to access information faster helps reduce latency. As good as CRT monitors go, using an LCD with a great refresh rate will benefit the mobility of your system. If you're going to be moving your system a lot, get yourself a set of Xbags (www.xbags.com) to carry your system in. I have yet to find anything like them, and for those that are interested in case carryiers, we will be doing a review on the Xbags line of PC carriers in the near future.

Power is the other concern you should have. The stability of your system is primarily based on how dependable and stable your supply of power is. There are many companies that sell PSU's, but only a few of them have dependable power supplies.

One other note. The professional gamers I know, don't use large resolutions with high detailing, they use 800x600 with mid to low detail to maintain high frame rates in games with lots of things going on on screen. It's those of us who play in our homes and offices that go for the highest detailing and large resolutions. With that being said, one graphics card should be enough for you, but make sure it has all the features you're going to need. Don't just go for the best overall card, go for the best gaming card you can get. If this is a gaming system, make it a gaming system, not something you're going to use photoshop, flash, or burn MP3's and DVD's on.

Good luck with this, and hope everything works out well for you.
    Yo thanks bro soon as I came to check up on this thread I say 2 pages and im like that sucks time to read flamages, lol. But you made an amazing post Im looking at basically everything you said so far, amd and nvidia i guess, i wanted ati, but... more and more peopel are saying nvidia so Im like ok.

Water Cooled

ati all the way!

FX

When it comes right down to it, both ATi and nVidia make similar products, and you can't really go wrong with either one.

» nVidia is "traditionally" better with gaming cards, however, they're also quick to leap in order to win the race for new tech, but also require more frequent updates to unlock and optimize their cards. nVidia pushes for performance above all.

» ATi are better in visually demanding applications, and started this race as the company to beat in 3D visuals. Their cards are nowadays usually more stable, as feature packed as their competition, but require less driver udating as they're released feature ready and open to developers.

Flip the coin, pick a side, that's all I ever hear, but for those that do their homework, their decisions tend to be based on more than personal preference, but rather, on the facts that fit their needs. Personally, I prefer ATi. I'm a graphic designer, I do game skins and textures in addition to websites and TBCS. ATi meets my needs head on, and with the way they're doing SLI, it's not about to change.

The SlackMeister

ATI vs. nVidia
    it all depends on what price you are looking at. for example, when i was building my comp, i had around $300 for video card. i looked at nVidia 6800GT and ATI 800XL. in benchmarks 800XL beat 6800GT, then i looked at the price and saw that 800XL was about $70 cheaper. so this was no brainer for me. i think 800XL is THE best bang for you buck today.

Water Cooled

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlacker
    ATI vs. nVidia
    it all depends on what price you are looking at. for example, when i was building my comp, i had around $300 for video card. i looked at nVidia 6800GT and ATI 800XL. in benchmarks 800XL beat 6800GT, then i looked at the price and saw that 800XL was about $70 cheaper. so this was no brainer for me. i think 800XL is THE best bang for you buck today.

Which benchmarks did you look at? Could you hook us up with some linkage?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

The SlackMeister

damn i cant find specific links right now. but i know that X800XL beats 6800GT in a lot of benchies