Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Computer "Upgrading"

Default Re: Computer "Upgrading"

Quote Originally Posted by ajutz21 View Post

About the Sapphire X1600 (it has to be PCI, not PCIe),
    If you cant use pci express judging buy the specs of your system you could mabie just get to like 4 fps witha pci 6200 oc
    So Looks like ob is out of the question with that system

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Well, considering the card I'm going to get, which the link to is on the the bottom of page 4, and the fact that I'm going to be overclocking my CPU to 2+ghz, and I'm going to have sufficient RAM, it should play Oblivion...

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

That should be able to crank out obilivon no trouble. The only thing that I have better in my PC is my athlon is at 2.4ghz a 3400+. So you will have no trouble.
    Need a sig

Cool... so you have a similar or the same video card? Cool... my pc might could match yours if my processor overclocks high enough... now if only I had dual monitors... but then again I wouldn't have room on my crappy desk.

dual monitors is good for homework and assignments. Forget about dual monitors for games, it's not what it's hyped up to be.

Well, considering from what I've read in the reviews along with what you just told me, I had planned on buying an aftermarket cooler anyway, that and the dumb broad on the stock cooler is annoying anyway. My AGP slot is 8x, luckily... if you look on I think the 3rd page, I have a link to my current heatsink, let me know if it would be good for overclocking, oh, and I was thinking of buying a better fan for it, the one on it is sufficient for now, if the heatsink isn't that great, here's the water cooler I've been looking at, let me know if it's good or not, and some advice for installing it if my current heatsink isn't good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103006

About the dual monitors, it would be cool to have, even if I don't use it for games, but it's just an unnecessary luxury.

Well, actually... I'm getting a DIMM of RAM that's desperately needed, and I'm buying the video card (hopefully soon). Send me a link to the TITAN watercase, oh, and just in case you didn't see, the CoolerMaster water cooler that I gave you the link to was originally $100 before the sale. Here's the aftermarket video card cooler that I was thinking of getting, let me know if it's good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186132

...and here's my current heatsink, do you think it'd be good enough, and it has copper tubing and all and I believe it could be used for water cooling, but it doesn't have the plastic over the metal plate on the bottom:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835185123

If the stuff I'm currently looking at isn't good enough, and if the TITAN is within my price range, I'll get the TITAN instead.

That's classified.

Sorry to break it to you but Air heatsinks cannot be water cooled.

Thats right, you cannot put tubes on those "copper pipes". They are called heat pipes. There are no nuts to unscrew as they are welded shut. Inside a heatpipe there is a fluid that transfers heat from one part of the heatsink to another. In this case it is taking heat away from the CPU and transferring it to the aluminum fins of the heatsink where its then cooled by the fan.

As for the quality of that heatsink, you would be better off buying a Zalman one as they are very quiet and cool very well.
    But, seeing as already have bought that one, just make sure your temps don't go too high. Also, if you can position it in any direction, having it blow toward the back exhaust would be best.

Oh, alright... that makes sense.

About overclocking, etc... I'm gonna wait until Kevin (progbuddy) gets back from Australia to mess with the BIOS, he knows more about that stuff than I do, and I don't feel like screwing anything up.

I was talking about the plastic over the baseplate, but nevermind, my idea won't work anyway... they should make an air/water cooling combo deal though, that would be cool, and probably work good too. Do they have any cheaper TITAN models? Here's the link to the thermal paste that I got:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835100301

It cooled my CPU by about 10-15F, or about 5-7C

Edit: Durr, it's a case... should have checked the link... ah, well. If you find a good water cooler for a price within my budget (up to $75US), PM me the link.