Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Computer "Upgrading"

Default Re: Computer "Upgrading"

Just running the CPU at a full load. It generates more heat, helping the Arctic Silver to spread itself and get in a comfortable position. When the AC is comfortable and happy, it's more willing to transfer heat .

I'd say, get Prime95, run a Torture Test overnight, and it should be fine.

Keep in mind; Arctic Silver says that it takes 250 hours of use before the maximum cooling can be reached, so don't be discouraged by less-than-perfect temps in the first uses.
    RIP Bucko

i'm getting temps of 36c and 40c when not on load from my comp, and that's during the first few weeks of running lolz. guess i'll be seeing even lower temps after the 250 hours =]

burn in is a period during which your computer get adjusted and stuff, soft of like when you buy shoes. at first you think they're too tight but after a couple of days they wear out and they're fine, close to the same thing with comps. plus it helps determine if the comp has a problem under stress and to see if the components are performing like they should.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Okay, here's the deal:

1. I got it together
    2. I got it working, but Microsoft is gay, so they want me to buy another copy of XP.
    3. It decided that it doesn't want the mouse or keyboard to work, so it seems busted ten minutes after I got it together.
    4. I've decided: **** BUILDING COMPUTERS, I can't get the ****ing thing to work, I don't have the patience at the moment, and I'm on the verge of going crazy from stupid ****ing morons that I deal with all the time, such as my retarded family that enjoys pissing me off and nobody else giving a **** about how I feel. Next time I'll just pay HP to build me one of their overpriced PCs. Stupid $800 piece of scrap metal.

After having time to reflect on the issue... I'd first like to say sorry for all of the above... I freaked out, you guys probably know how it is to spend lots of time (mainly waiting), money, sanity, and patience on something, and to have it fail... after thinking on the issue, I've decided that it might could be the PSU being underpowered for the job. If anyone could post a link to that site where it estimates the amount of power you need for your components, that would be great, at the moment I really don't feel like searching through the forum for that... again, sorry for all of the above.

Yikes. had a little freak out there? Hmmm?..
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Teenage years, i'm turning 16 soon so my hormones are driving me nuts. Girls begin to catch your eye more then algebra -.- and playing games lets you take it out on people online. Everyone has to go through a "pissed off' faze. I remember at times i could be angry and at others I'd just feel like ****.

Getting back on topic, you can try searching the forums. I asked the exact same question a while back somewhere here and i got a couple of good links that can help calculate your power usage.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronyx
    i got a couple of good links that can help calculate your power usage.
    This is the one I use and would have to be my favorite and is the most updated one on the web

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

And here is another one I found

http://www.journeysystems.com/power_...calculator.php
    Need a sig

Thanks guys, I'm pulling in some more experienced minds on this... we should hopefully have it running good soon, and it better be some simple problem... if anything, this whole ordeal has taught me a little bit of patience, but used a LOT...

EDIT: Just used both of those links... both of them say that I need about 320 watts, so my 430 watt PSU should be sufficient, unless I have problems somewhere else or if the PSU is defective...

OMFG, I got it to work! W00Ts! The auto halt setting in the BIOS was messing it up, so instead of "all except keyboard," it's now "all errors." Hooray for me and my genius self! Thanks to all that helped to reinspire me and improve my mood! You were right Jeremy, the sense of satisfaction is freakin' sweet. I should have known that with all other problems I've had, that it would've been stupid and simple... oh my god I feel smart and stupid... wow...

EDIT: Now I think I'ma upgrade to Vista, I have a voucher somewhere that will get it for me half off, especially since Macrohard is being a bitch about my validation code... but we'll see. Any advice on the matter would be great.

Yeah, well... due to the problem with XP (I have to reactivate due to the hardware change and it won't let me use my code, so I'ma call them later or something and hopefully get this resolved and not have to buy more stuff, I'm already almost broke as it is), I might not have a PC for a while... or at least until I get more RAM and Vista. My mobo has two 184 pin slots and two 280 pin slots for RAM, so I might could buy another two gigs of RAM for the 280 pin slots, and get myself three gigs and be all set, but then... there's the matter of getting Vista, which I'ma find my voucher thingy for 50% off and get Home Premium... and with the discount, it'll be $80 for Vista and the RAM (when I checked) would be, at the cheapest, $150... this computer keeps saying "more, more, more!" of my money spent on it... greedy bastard. Ah well, it'll be nice to have, now alls I needs is a copy of Oblivion.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the geniuses that designed my mobo decided to put the IDE cable slots on the bottom of the thing, so the cable doesn't reach both my optical drives... if they don't sell extended cables (or if they're a rip off), I'ma just move the drives down a bit. One more thing, my new video card heatsink comes in today, so if Windows doesn't get resolved, take a guess at what my project for the night is going to be.