Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick out a UPS

Default Re: Help me pick out a UPS

Yesterday and today, the power keeps dimming. My TV loses audio, my fan goes low, and the furnace even shut off. Now would be a good time to have one.

airbozo, how can you loose so many phones? They run off very low power right from the plug and are the only things that works in power outtages.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Not necessarily. It depends on where and what the relay for his phone network is. If he's using copper wire on each relay in the affected area, he shouldn't drop signal. If it includes a fiber relay, it could possibly die.

The power via phone method doesn't worth with optics. Before optical relays it worked fantastic because everything was copper, but now it's mostly the neighborhood or specified grid has a PSTN network and everything beyond is run on fiber. If that relay dies when the power does, oops, there goes the phones.

Upon further reading I get what Cana is asking. Often power issues cause a massive drop in voltage, or a brownout. This can burn up AC electronics that aren't behind devices that 'clean' the incoming signal.

Phones and electricity aren't my strong suits, so if I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

The strong winds outside blowing the ice covered powerlines make me want a UPS right now. The one I was originally looking at went up in price..

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Actually, power hasn't gone out here in a long time. I'd still like to have one anyway though, also as added protection. And who knows when it may happen again.

It's always a good idea to have power protection on any equipment As long as the budget permits, the nicer the better. No one really likes to deal with data loss or hardware failure.

If the budget is an issue you can always buy a refurbished ups or if money is not an issue buy a new UPS. However, as long as you're buying a good quality one you should be in good shape.

Personal preference, always stick to Smart UPSs. They're reliable and offer solid protection

Tony

wow, another zombie thread. *grabs shotgun*