Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need your opinions - possible mod

Default Re: Need your opinions - possible mod

wow sgtm, I didn't know they made P4 boards with ISA slots

I also don't know how I missed this thread. I love the idea of the marine corps case. Especially since you were in the marines, makes it all that more personal.
    Last edited by Aero; 12-30-2006 at 02:40 AM.

Anodized

SGTM, all the info on the USMC keeps reminding me of all the stuff we have to learn to get our FMF pin (which I'm currently working on getting). I like the blood stripe. Any chance you'll put a bulldog on it anywhere or some cross rifles? I was also thinking of the frase "No Balls" I know you'll get it since the history of prior service. What color LED's are you going to use on the inside? Red and Gold?
    It's a sweet idea. Maybe you can put a corpsman caduce on it somewhere to (long shot but I suppose I might be a little partial to the idea, lol)
    Oh, and I'm definately subscribing to this one!
    Cake or death?
    Cake please.
    Well we are all outta cake!
    So my choice is "or death?"
    -Eddie Izzard

Quote Originally Posted by docturtle View Post
    SGTM, all the info on the USMC keeps reminding me of all the stuff we have to learn to get our FMF pin (which I'm currently working on getting). I like the blood stripe. Any chance you'll put a bulldog on it anywhere or some cross rifles? I was also thinking of the frase "No Balls" I know you'll get it since the history of prior service. What color LED's are you going to use on the inside? Red and Gold?
    It's a sweet idea. Maybe you can put a corpsman caduce on it somewhere to (long shot but I suppose I might be a little partial to the idea, lol)
    Oh, and I'm definately subscribing to this one!
    Uh oh. Don't tell me the Navy is moving in here too! J/k man. Welcome. I see you're on the rock. Enjoy your time there. If you ever have any questions about the Corps, let me know.

I'm still working out some details. Lighting may be in the form of CCFL's but I would prefer LED's. Maybe red inside the case, and insert a Yellow/amber LED in the window with the Eagle Globe and Anchor etched into it, and run that off of the HDD activity lead. I know the color scheme will probably not change from what I have it. I'm definitely keeping the blood stripe on top though. I would love to be able to sculpt a mini Mt Suribachi/flag raising on the motherboard side of the case, but I know my limits. That would be out of my league. My birthday is in January, so I'm going to tell everyone that I want paint, plexi, and LED's. My dad has a cool workshop I can use to build this in. Maybe I'll take pics of it when I check on his dogs later. I can have plex frosted by my Father In Law from his work. If you didn't catch the resemblence yet, the 2 tall windows I incorporated is to represent the WTC. Kinda ambitious for my first mod, but you gotta start somewhere right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    wow sgtm, I didn't know they made P4 boards with ISA slots

I also don't know how I missed this thread. I love the idea of the marine corps case. Especially since you were in the marines, makes it all that more personal.
    I got the board from my old employer. He had ordered it special for a customer that needed ISA slots too hook their cash register up to the PC or something. In the end, they didn't want it so it sat on a shelf for a year before I grabbed it for $25. Not a bad deal.

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    I would love to be able to sculpt a mini Mt Suribachi/flag raising on the motherboard side of the case, but I know my limits. That would be out of my league.
    If you are just thinking about etching it into the case then you could probably find a siloute of the flag raising and just tape that onto the case and cut out the pic? Just a thought. I'll see if I can find any pics for ya too.
    *EDIT* I found a pic, I'm just going to try to make it "stencil-able". What size are you looking for?
    Cake or death?
    Cake please.
    -Eddie Izzard

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docturtle View Post
    If you are just thinking about etching it into the case then you could probably find a siloute of the flag raising and just tape that onto the case and cut out the pic? Just a thought. I'll see if I can find any pics for ya too.
    *EDIT* I found a pic, I'm just going to try to make it "stencil-able". What size are you looking for?
    Most case side panels are 12" by 18" or so, so he'd probably need anywhere from 10" by 16" to less than that.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

hmm.. not really sure right now. My Sketchup dimensinos are off a little. The side panels measure 17.5" width, and 16" height. So if I were to make it a window and etch it, then I would probably need like 15" width, 14" height. I saw this REALLY cool etching technique on American Chopper once that I'm going to try on some scrap.

Anodized

Well, here is what I made. I just took the actual pic and then edited it in paint. Not much but hopefully it'll help? Please feel free to use it.

ENJOY!
    Cake or death?
    Cake please.
    -Eddie Izzard

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    hmm.. not really sure right now. My Sketchup dimensinos are off a little. The side panels measure 17.5" width, and 16" height. So if I were to make it a window and etch it, then I would probably need like 15" width, 14" height. I saw this REALLY cool etching technique on American Chopper once that I'm going to try on some scrap.
    Eugh, yeah, that's what I meant. 18" by 16" or so. I think.

****, now I'm confused.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

That looks like a job for a computerised router. I think there's a couple of guys here on the boards that either have one or are building them. Tybrennis is working on one i think.

Anyway, if you ask around, you might be able to get someone to make this for you. Plexi's light and cheap to ship.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

So guys.. I'm thinking of using another case for this project. I got this one free a while ago. I'm kind of torn because this one is light weight aluminum while the other one is a little beefier. I would mod the window to just a square. Obviously, it would need to be cleaned. I would try and re use the plex window, but there's that damn whole in the middle so I might just replace it and reposition a fan somewhere else. Undecided ATM.

So, which case do you like better? The silver or the black?