Thread: Imma Noob Give me some advice PLZ

Fresh Paint

Default Imma Noob Give me some advice PLZ

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum, and I'm new to the world of computer modding. To give perspective of my thinkign ability i'm 17 years old so i do not have as much experience as many of you may have in jobs that your in.

I have an old Dell Dimension P200v which i have no idea how thats different from other computers in that age. It works fine so I've taken it apart to learn, but now I think I'd like to use the parts in a case mod that I build from scratch. Therse some things I'd like help with on this subject.

The first thing is basically from this computer I understand the parts are older, but can they be used in the mod?

If i'm going to make a custom case what would be the best material to make a clear case that is see through?

If someone could also give me a lsit of the main components a computer needs to run would be extremly helpful aswell.

Finally whats the best way to go about building a case from scratch. I have several ideas for it which i'm sure i will need help to incorporate in thef uture but lets leave it at the 4 thigns i asked up here.

Thank you generously for all help I'm sorry for anythign that sounds stupid and noobish, but i really am a noob at it but i'm eager to learn.

Default Re: Imma Noob Give me some advice PLZ

i'm eager to learn.
    That's the main ingredient!

Welcome to TBCS.

Dell Dimention computers are funny things, as Dell tend to order in customized parts, such as PSU's, in order to make sure that when you want to upgrade, you need to do it through dell. This isn't true for all dells, but in some things, like motherboard connectors, they deliberately ignore ATX and other motherboard standards (which dictate things such as the positioning of the screw holes in your motherboard & case and the dimensions of the PSU, not to mention the arrangement of the wiring).

In other words, it's going to be hard for us to tell you what you can and cannot use from your current computer, and if you are new, you won't find it easy either. Dells are the worst computers to start modding with, as they're so far away from the standards that everyone else works with-while on the surface appearing exactly the same.

If you want to build a new case from scratch, using the same hardware, that's ambitious, but possible: you have the hardware, so you can measure a new case! The best material for this is Perspex/Plexiglass/Acrylic. Tybrennis is the resident plastics guy about these parts, and he's a friendly helpful guy who will help you out with 100% useful information if you ask him, either publicly or through the PM system.

I'll let what i've said above sink in before i start answering the other questions-cos with modding, every answer leads to 7 new questions!

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Fresh Paint

Wow I see thank you for posting back so quickly. So you are saying that the Dell Dimension is hard to upgrade or change out with different parts?
    If this is correct that means i probably want to stickt ot he same parts.
    As for the mod besides the case I'd like to put in some leds a couple places and I think a Water cooled system would be really cool if thats not something thats extremely advanced past a rookies level. If it is then it doesn't have to be part of it since it's only my first case mod. I will talk to Tybrennis about the plastics thank you.
    Your right it does trigger 7 new questions. Thanks again

If this is correct that means i probably want to stickt ot he same parts.
    It just means that if you want to buy a new Motherboard, you'll probably need a new case and PSU to go with it. The CPU, RAM, CD & HDD's should all be fairly standard parts.

Led's and watercooling is a good place to start. I'm not a watercooling guy, but plenty of the guys on the boards here can help you out with it. Good luck!

-Dave

Fresh Paint

Im Not sure what type of plastic this Dell Dimension case is, but I was hoping you could point me in the right direction or explaint o me the extent of how to paint it. I think that it would be a good start for me In my adventure of modding which I hope will turn into a good hobby.

There's a good link here about painting...hope that's of use.

Otherwise, just get a couple of cans of spray, and paint it. Plastic doesn't really need priming to be honest, although it can get a better finish.

-Dave