Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: case power wiring

ATX Mental Case

Default case power wiring

hi,
    i'm in the final stages of building my gamer. it's purdy nice! i want to hook up all those molexes that are lying around my case. how do i do that?

-arden

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

Default Re: case power wiring

hhhm

did you connect a all the Hard drives and stuff and you are talking about the free molexes

or nothing is connected and you want to know how to do it

LOUD AND PROUD !

ATX Mental Case

i got drives and mobo powered...but like fans and case lights and screens and stuff?

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

first take some pics of what you are talking about
    so i know what connectors are on your fans and lights
    then a can give some proper help

LOUD AND PROUD !

This reminds me of one of the stories here http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_smoke.shtml

* Tech Support: "Hello, tech support, can I help you?"
    * Customer: (slowly) "Oohh." (pause) "I think I did a bad thing."
    * Tech Support: "Ok, so tell me what's up."
    * Customer: "Well, my computer was running great. Everything was working fine, I had no problems whatsoever."
    * Tech Support: "Ok..."
    * Customer: "So I decided to open it up and have a look inside. I saw all these wires dangling all over the place. There were grey flat ones, and small red, black, and yellow ones, and it seemed like they weren't connected to anything. So I decided to plug them all in."
    * Tech Support: "Um, you mean you plugged them all in? What did you plug them into?"
    * Customer: "Well, whatever I could get them to connect to. I saw pins sticking off of some of the boards that didn't have anything on them, so I plugged all the loose wires in to make it run better."
    * Tech Support: "And then you..."
    * Customer: "And so I plugged them all in, and I hit the power button, and there was this loud bang and a flash and a puff of smoke. Now it doesn't work at all."
    * Tech Support: (suppressing all emotion and turning deep crimson) "Can you hold for a minute, please?"

Kaboom! "Explosive" doesn't adequately describe the laughter. I related the story to some co-workers between gasps for breath. Several of the techs and I had quite the laugh fest while he was on hold. After about five minutes of eye-popping, sweat-beading laughter, I wiped away the tears, took a sip of water, and came back on the line. I knew it'd be futile to even attempt to troubleshoot it.

* Tech Support: "Ok, well why don't we just have you wrap it up in the original packing material and send it back to us, we'll take care of the whole thing."

And so another computer newbie learned that the extra power supply cables and unused IDE ribbon cables don't have to be plugged in for the computer to work just fine.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    This reminds me of one of the stories here http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_smoke.shtml

* Tech Support: "Hello, tech support, can I help you?"
    * Customer: (slowly) "Oohh." (pause) "I think I did a bad thing."
    * Tech Support: "Ok, so tell me what's up."
    * Customer: "Well, my computer was running great. Everything was working fine, I had no problems whatsoever."
    * Tech Support: "Ok..."
    * Customer: "So I decided to open it up and have a look inside. I saw all these wires dangling all over the place. There were grey flat ones, and small red, black, and yellow ones, and it seemed like they weren't connected to anything. So I decided to plug them all in."
    * Tech Support: "Um, you mean you plugged them all in? What did you plug them into?"
    * Customer: "Well, whatever I could get them to connect to. I saw pins sticking off of some of the boards that didn't have anything on them, so I plugged all the loose wires in to make it run better."
    * Tech Support: "And then you..."
    * Customer: "And so I plugged them all in, and I hit the power button, and there was this loud bang and a flash and a puff of smoke. Now it doesn't work at all."
    * Tech Support: (suppressing all emotion and turning deep crimson) "Can you hold for a minute, please?"

Kaboom! "Explosive" doesn't adequately describe the laughter. I related the story to some co-workers between gasps for breath. Several of the techs and I had quite the laugh fest while he was on hold. After about five minutes of eye-popping, sweat-beading laughter, I wiped away the tears, took a sip of water, and came back on the line. I knew it'd be futile to even attempt to troubleshoot it.

* Tech Support: "Ok, well why don't we just have you wrap it up in the original packing material and send it back to us, we'll take care of the whole thing."

And so another computer newbie learned that the extra power supply cables and unused IDE ribbon cables don't have to be plugged in for the computer to work just fine.

Reminds me when I first got into computers when I was young, I had some old computers and was fascinated with and quickly wanted to learn as much as I could, as quickly as I could. So this uncle of mine said to make sure that a cable goes in with the yellow wire pointing a certain way. So I get extra hard drives and the cable didn't follow the cable rule so I was thinking the cable was incompadible with the hard drive and I will make it work. So I took a knife and fix the power cable, thus I turned it on and poof I got to see a puff of smoke. I have to that was my first mod of any kind and it ended really bad. Thankfully I learned alot since than.

ATX Mental Case

no but i know these are important. these are the plastic wires that either have indents or pins....they were connected to the case when it came. can't really get pics.

Are you talking about the wires that connect to the power button, front led's, speaker, etc..? And connect at the bottom right corner of the motherboard?
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

ATX Mental Case