Thread: Trying to build the Linear Actuator from Doom 3 project need advice

ATX Mental Case

Question Trying to build the Linear Actuator from Doom 3 project need advice

Has anyone tried to build Linear Actuator from a cdrom drive tray the way Crimson Sky did?

If so can you answer a couple of questions I have.

I know reversing the wires will reverse the motor but will I need some sort of limit swith to acomplish this?

If so how should it be wired up?

Any help will be appreciated

Charles

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: Trying to build the Linear Actuator from Doom 3 project need advice

Do it with servos.

that should work.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

ATX Mental Case

Can't get enough travel with a servo that's why Crimson Sky did not use a servo on the blast door
    he did however use one on the airlock doors.

Charles

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Well, you could always just wire the motor so that the switch is momentary, make the motor about half speed, and just stop when it gets to the desired location.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I needed a similar setup once for a wooden media center I was building. I had a sliding door on the front which needed almost exactly the throw length of an opening cr-rom tray. What I did was actually leave the whole drive intact and use sleeved cables(made for RC airplanes to link servos to moving parts) as linkage from the opening drive to the sliding door. Then, you not only have a built in start stop point, you can plug it into the secondary IDE slot and write a real simple autoexec.bat file to cause it to open when windows boots, and windows automatically closes all drives when it shuts down. Don't know if this suits your design but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    Jon
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Try this stepping motor from jaycar Here
    Need a sig

that is a pretty cool device, I may have to get one someday.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

I used a special landing gear type servo for the linear actuator on the Airlock door. These servos have a higher degree of travel than the servos used for flaps and other moving parts of RC vehicles.
    In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.