Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 27" Dell Screen

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

Default Re: 27" Dell Screen

I'm thinking about buying my dads 42inch plasma when he upgrades later on this year (November-December). It will probably cost me around $1000USD. There are a few questions I have though....

1. What kind of video card would be able to handle it properly? I was thinking about getting a X800GTO as they are pretty cheap and the specs are higher than most others for that price. Feel free to correct me on that.

2. Is it worth it? I mean it makes a damn good TV, but I'll mainly be using it for a computer screen. So will I be better off with a $1000USD or cheaper computer screen or with the plasma?

Product Link
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

It does have a computer input so you don't need to use TV out which is cool. But I don't know what the resolution of it is but they are usually less then 1600x1200 which is wide screen resolution.
    Need a sig

The resolution of the TV will be awful. Chances are it will be 500 pixels.

Some modern TV's can handle 1024*768 quite happily.

Here's an extract from wiki on 1080i TV's, the highest-of high def.
    1080i is shorthand name for a category of video modes. The number 1080 stands for 1080 lines of vertical resolution, while the letter i stands for interlaced or non-progressive scan. 1080i is considered to be an HDTV video mode. The term usually assumes a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9, implying a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels and a frame resolution of 1920 × 1080 or about 2.07 million pixels, and a field resolution of 1920 × 1080 / 2 (because it's interlaced) or about 1.04 million pixels. The field rate (not the frame rate) in hertz can be either implied by the context or specified after the letter i. The two field rates in common use are 50 and 60 Hz, with the former (1080i50) generally being used in traditional PAL and SECAM countries (Europe, Australia, much of Asia, Africa), the latter (1080i60) in traditional NTSC countries (e.g. United States, Canada and Japan). Both variants can be transported by both major digital television formats, ATSC and DVB.
    I've highlighted the resolution.

The 30" Dell monitor i mentioned takes a resolution of 2500*1600 (roughly speaking) and won't murder your eyes. It's £815 where i'm planning to buy it from.

Sitting at around £250 at the moment, and saving the pennies.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I saw this posted on Digg sooo want one but im poor, i also want a Mac mini, some more Wii games, need a new phone....the list goes on.

Very sexy monitor i must say