Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: The NEXT contest...

Default Re: The NEXT contest...

I'm excited! There's been lots of great stories on here, so I'm glad I don't have to pick a winner.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

I was at work until now, but the contest officially ended 2 hrs ago. The judging will begin and TGS will be informed of the outcome as soon as the panel has reached a desicion. Thanks for all of the awesome stories!
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

read my comic already! (sig) xRyokenx's Avatar

Huh, there was a contest here? What the hell was I thinking? Ah, well... most of my computer fixing stories involve really stupid problems, or buying expensive stuff to replace what broke, ah well...

By stupid problems, I mean something simple, like a minor deal in the BIOS screwing up the keyboard or something like that...

-Anthony

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowFire View Post
    When I was 14 or 15 years old, I had this old CRT monitor that my dad didn't want anymore, so he gave it to me for my *first* computer. For some reason, it didn't work, so one day I got bored and took it apart. As I was taking it apart, something snapped on the inside and I thought I heard gas leaking. My first thought was, OMGOSH! POISON GAS! Then I thought, oh... my... god... the furnace is on. I ran out of my house screaming at my younger brother to get out too because the house might catch on fire and/or blow up.

What? I wasn't the brightest kid when I was younger. ...actually, I'm still not. lol
    When I read that I almost died laughing.
    Need a sig

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

For your great story and for your willingness to share, I hereby announce that you are the WINNER!

PM is on the way. If you submitted a story and did not win, then I would like to thank you for time and want you to know that there will be more contests to come. I do have another brand new case lying around...

Quote Originally Posted by isunktheship View Post
    Hello, this topic is perfect for my story, since it all JUST happened about a week ago.

My girlfriend Kim has a rabbit named 'Cheerios'. I think the rabbit is named because of the food that it eats. You may think that this story ends up with the rabbit eating into my wires or something, but no animals were harmed during this ordeal. I don't mind rabbits, and Kim loves them.

My roommate Chris, on the other hand, hates rabbits. Of all the things he fears, rabbits are the worst. Chris is like 5'11'' and plays soccer.

This whole story takes place in my room, where I was putting together my computer again. I just rewired it after having ordered two cold cathode kits, and was trying to figure out a better way to manage all of the cables. I unplugged my computer and put it in the center of my room. I then took off the sides, I have a Raidmax Smilodon, and I LOVE IT.

I hadn't started organizing my case at all, I just hooked up the lights, made sure they worked, and then unplugged it again. It was about that time when Chris walked into the room. I promised him that I would build him a computer whenever he decided to spend money on the parts. He walks in, and sees me sitting there with my tower, so I stood up to show him the boxes that the cold cathodes came in. As I turned around to get the boxes, Kim's rabbit, Cheerios, runs over to Chris.

/Sigh

Chris then freaks out, and steps backwards, tripping over my case with his left foot, and slams his left foot into the corner of my metal desk.

My computer topples over and slams on the floor, Chris is sprawled held over my desk and computer.

Kim and I immediately burst out laughing, and Cheerios was scared stupid, to which he ran under the bed in panic. After the laughter died down, Chris took up, and realized his leg was really hurting. He kept complaining about it, he said he couldn't walk on it.

After about 45 minutes we took him to the emergency room, and he got an X-ray. Turns out he broke his ankle, or cracked it somehow... the X-rays are below. Chris gets a cast this week.

I went back to my computer, pushed it back over, and started it up. Unfortunately it didn't start up. I was really concerned about this, but just figured I didn't connect something crucial (I'm smart like that!).

After about an hour of checking everything, the computer didn't boot up. I used my laptop to check out forums, and saw that if your computer doesn't boot up properly that the hard drive may be borked (dead). I ran a few more tests, making sure it wasn't my PSU, by switching PSU's.

Fortunately I hadn't slotted in a new 250Gb hard drive that my friend just sold me. He had a server of 250Gb drives, the same drives that I use, because I built his computer. I slotted in the "new" hard drive, and up she started.

I reformatted my computer, and everything is basically back to normal... except for Chris's foot.

This is the second hard drive I have killed, one of them was killed in an overclocking disaster, and then this one was killed through the fatal drop/landing.

I've always heard that dropping a HD could kill it, but it had never happened to me. I'm not exactly a ninja when it comes to handling my laptop either...oh well.

I hope you enjoyed my tale! I'll try to get a pic of Chris up here when he gets back from a late night study group.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

That's pretty hilarious... congratulations isunktheship, you deserve a cookie, and whatever prize you won.

-Anthony

EDIT: Oh, and what was the prize anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by ajutz21 View Post

That's pretty hilarious... congratulations isunktheship, you deserve a cookie, and whatever prize you won.

-Anthony

EDIT: Oh, and what was the prize anyway?
    It's on the front page.. you just have to scroll down a little. TGS had a whole kit he gave away this time.

Congrats isunktheship.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    It's on the front page.. you just have to scroll down a little. TGS had a whole kit he gave away this time.

Shows how observant I am, heh heh... I just checked the homepage, I didn't see it on there... huh... wasn't it a Dremel kit or something though, I remember seeing something like that on there, if so, that's gotta be real nice to have around.

-Anthony

Yay, my misfortune, and the misfortune of Chris, has paid off!

Thank you very much, if anyone read my LED thread you know that the soldering iron will be put to good use!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

+rep for winning!

Thanks to all. Please unsticky!
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440