Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Radiator in Top of Case

Fresh Paint

Default Mounting Radiator in Top of Case

Hello all.

You guys really know your stuff here so I'm sure this would fall into the rookie category.

I am going to be cutting the top of my case (drill & jigsaw) to make a large enough area to mount a triple radiator. I have seen some brackets available, but I'm still iffy on them before I buy them. Also, when I finally get the hole there and the rad. lined up...should I put something inbetween the two? My rad already has a bracket on it to create some space, but would something more be needed, such as the radbox from swiftech?

D'Oh

Default Re: Mounting Radiator in Top of Case

hmm.. some pics would be nice and a clearer explanation.. i get that you wanna put a triple rad on top, but what case, what rad, what configuration of fans? inside, outside?
    depending on what u wanna do, more room in between the fan and the rad means less noise.. if u mount a fan to pull air off the rad and leave some space (using a sealed shroud), it will be more quiet and pull air in more efficiently
    Last edited by dgrmkrp; 01-04-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

hard to say without pics... Get us some pics, and we will be very pleased to help you

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by dgrnjrp
    hmm.. some pics would be nice and a clearer explanation.. i get that you wanna put a triple rad on top, but what case, what rad, what configuration of fans? inside, outside?
    Doh! You wrote it faster...

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

D'Oh

i'm a slow typer actually
    damn low light conditions and the still new keyboard feel and i keep inverting letter in words and manage to not press the buttons fully...

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Case Wizard

From how I am picturing it, I don't think you want to use the Swiftech Radbox.
    This is how it is used.

Of course, who says that you are confined to using it that way? Not me.

ATX Mental Case

^Bit ugly... Why not cover it up as a mod. Or even better put it on the inside (-: Autonomys cooling for the win.

Fresh Paint

Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town and AFK. Here are some pictures, although they wern't taken myself. (I'm at work and not near the case).

For a clear explanation, here goes...

The case I am using is a JustPC r910 Server Tower. Its a very basic case with alot of room and modding potential, imo.

As you can see, there is plenty of room in the case. I have done measurements and everything needed, just to make sure.

At the top of the case you can see that there is a dual PSU cage. I will be using one 1000watt psu in the bottom section of this cage to free up the top for a radiator.

Here is a picture of a oversized PSU (The longest one on the market) in the case.

As for the radiator, I will be using a thermochill 120.3

Standard length for a radiator, but its a bit wider than normal.
    [LxWxD (mm)] 430x128x61 ( 16.93 x 5.04 x 2.4 inches).

The fans will be exhausting air, and I would like to try to keep them inside of the case, so far, from my measurements, things should fit with enough room.

What do you all suggest?

I was thinking of buying this grill here to use to cut with as a guide and to screw into.

I appreciate your comments thus far and look forward to talking with you.

Case Wizard

You don't have to use that grill if you don't want to. You could always just use mesh. It all depends on your preferences.

As for putting something inbetween the radiator and the case, I don't think you need to. You could put some sort of anti-vibration dampener in between if you are worried about noise.

Fresh Paint

I think I will just go with the modders mesh now that you mentioned it. I did some searching to see how people have been using it and it's pretty nice stuff. Since my cuts in the top will match the frame of the shroud that's on the radiator (hopefully), I figure that I can just cut the mesh to match the radiator and keep it attached by using the 12 screws required for mounting the radiator.

So screw that into the top (with or w/o sound dampening) then the fans blowing out and I should be in business.

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to getting started on this during the long weekend.

[QUOTE=butvinjd;66681]
    So screw that into the top (with or w/o sound dampening) then the fans blowing out and I should be in business.
    /QUOTE]

But with 3 120mm, I recommend you add a sounddampener, just in case.. Keep us update... We like pics

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast