Thread: Water Cooling Question

Anodized

Default Water Cooling Question

So, now that ive read every single thing about watercooling on this site.

I have a few questions that have arose:

One:
    What is the best block IYO for my Sapphire Radeon x1600?
    Two:
    What is the best size piping for me to run?
    Three:
    Whats the best athlon socket 939 block to run?
    Four:
    A resoivor is just a tank right, theres not walls or such in it to seperate two different liquid tempuratures, theres just the one type of liquid in it?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    Athlon 3800+::7300Le::2x1GB OCZ Platinum::160gig Maxtor

D'Oh

Default Re: Water Cooling Question

IMO:
    1. what you can buy
    2. at least 1/2" for a nice system, hi-flow, low-flow.. it just isn't as restrictive as other sizes.. do a area calculation and you'll see that this size is much bigger (if you look at the zise specs it isn't that much difference between 10mm and 12.5 mm.. but it is.. 25% apparently is actually more than twice the area )
    3. i think the apogee or storm are the nicest (low/hi flow respectively, last is best).. but i could be wrong..
    4. a reservoir keeps flui inside.. that's it.. so, 1 type of liquid.. the flange inside is used to hinder air bubles goign in the pump.. i think
    hope i helped

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Anodized

Quote Originally Posted by dgrmkrp View Post
    IMO:
    1. what you can buy
    2. at least 1/2" for a nice system, hi-flow, low-flow.. it just isn't as restrictive as other sizes.. do a area calculation and you'll see that this size is much bigger (if you look at the zise specs it isn't that much difference between 10mm and 12.5 mm.. but it is.. 25% apparently is actually more than twice the area )
    3. i think the apogee or storm are the nicest (low/hi flow respectively, last is best).. but i could be wrong..
    4. a reservoir keeps flui inside.. that's it.. so, 1 type of liquid.. the flange inside is used to hinder air bubles goign in the pump.. i think
    hope i helped
    you bet you ****ing did.Thanks alot. No joke, thanks you helped a ton.

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

So, now that ive read every single thing about watercooling on this site.

I have a few questions that have arose:

One:
    What is the best block IYO for my Sapphire Radeon x1600?
    Two:
    What is the best size piping for me to run?
    Three:
    Whats the best athlon socket 939 block to run?
    Four:
    A resoivor is just a tank right, theres not walls or such in it to seperate two different liquid tempuratures, theres just the one type of liquid in it?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
    In case you wanted specific products I'll create a list for you. Keep in mind that I am not saying that these are the best of the best, I'm just saying that these are widely regarded as the best.

1. Zalman ZM, Swiftech w/ Ramsinks, DD Maze4 Chrome < The chrome version doesn't really have any benefits, I just think it looks cool. You can get the regular version or even the low profile version for about 20-30 dollars cheaper. You can also buy this Maze4 Upgrade to Maze 5 block to increase performance.

2. 1/2inch tubing increases flow which increases performance. 3/8ths is what alot of people use. For you, I'm guessing, this is fine. I really don't know why people don't use 1/2inch. Maybe someone else will clarify this. There is also a difference in the way tubes are made. I'll list you two of the products that *I* would use. DD Tygon & ArcticMod Hyper Web. I would use a mixture of these two, as the Hyper Web can be hard to work with for your tighter bends. I've been told that it looks cool if you do it this way. Also keep in mind to pick up some really good clamps. I suggest going to the hardware store and picking up those metal ones with that tiny screw to tighten them down. Those are excellent and often much better than what websites offer you. *be sure to not tighten down too much, or you risk cracking you tubing.

3. These are the two that *I* would choose. DD RBX for 939 and ArcticMod DD < universal mounting/with or without UV reactive material.

4. A reservoir is a tank that holds your coolant. To explain it in words, a simple reservoir consists of "being a box" and having an in and out port that is separated on the inside by a small wall. This isn't always the case. I'll show you the difference between a simple and a complex reservoir. Here are a few examples of both. **what I mean by simple and complex isn't necessarily "simple and complex" but rather being different in their designs and sometimes how they function. Simple1, Simple 2 & Complex1, Complex2. As you can see, all a reservoir really is is a holding tank of any shape and size that has an inlet(s) and outlet(s). The coolant should be fed INTO the reservoir from the top and should be taken from the reservoir from the bottom. This is why, in that simple reservoir that I showed you, there is a small wall inbetween the inlet and outlet ports.

I have undoubtedly forgotten much, but if you have read every thread that deals with water cooling on these forums, you should be good to go for the most part. If you have any more questions, please ask. I love explaining this kind of stuff whether it is super noobish or super technical. < as you can see, It doesn't matter if the question is easy or complex, I'll still give you a decently complex answer.

-SnowFire
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Anodized

thanks people

D'Oh

.. i'll try an answer.. a basic loop doen't have a reservoir, but a t-line used for filing and bleeding it.. when you add a reservoir, u have a spot in the loop to ease filling and aid with bleeding it also, as evaporation occurs no matter what, in time, the liquid will start .. disappearing.. and when you add a res, you just take care of that problem too.. and more liquid is harder to heat! so, a well built system with a res means longer autonomous existence, with no repairs. re-fills from us you just have to watch out for stuff growing inside

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|