Well I just finished putting together my new HTPC and I got to thinking that I want to make the airflow better in the case.

Here is the case: http://www.silverstonetek.com/products-gd01mx.htm

I have the black version and I really like the case, but I want better airflow. So I am contemplating doing something a bit drastic.

The real problem with the case is the height. It is a perfect HTPC case, but I also do a lot of gaming and I might overclock some of my stuff so I need really good airflow. I am thinking about cutting a large hole in the top of the case (13" x 15") and bolting on some mesh. However, instead of just putting the mesh on there and being done with the mod I want to increase the height of the case so that taller CPU heatsinks will fit.

Also a bonus to this is the increased airflow due to the mesh. I will most likely remove the metal cross bar in the case and mount one or two 120mm fans under the mesh (but in the top of the case) to blow cool air straight down onto the motherboard.

I really don't know if I should do this because the case I will be modding is a $250 case. I have thought about calling Silverstone to see if I can buy an extra top plate so that I have the original one intact.