Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Supply On/Off?

ATX Mental Case

Default Power Supply On/Off?

This is rather odd.........

So, soon (in a couple months that is) i'm going to be starting on a big modding project, which i'll update you guys on when i get around to it.

Anyways one of the core pieces of this project requires a modified power supply so that the motherboard on/off is nulled, and the power can simply be turned on by flipping the back switch.

Naturally, this can be accomplished by simply hooking the power supply's green wire (on the atx cable) to a ground wire. However, this is where i come into problems.

After dismantling the PSU (being VERY careful) and cutting wires, and attatching the green to ground, i've come into a problem.

When you turn the PSU on, the fans spins for a second to receive power, then cuts out with the rest of the unit. Flipping the back switch does nothing. Once you unplug it's power chord, plug it back in, and flip the switch again does it do the same procedure (spin for a split second and then cut power).

But the oddest thing about this, is that when i take the green wire (dangerously, when the PSU is live) and move it rapidly connected and disconnected to the ground wire, the PSU then becomes perfectly active, until of course you stop rapidly moving them and either leave it disconnected or connected.

Can anyone help me?

Default Re: Power Supply On/Off?

I think, the easy way to do is could be using a dual switch for it.
    one to give power to the psu and the other one to power on the mobo (green wire)

Anyone who think a computer is sexy need to #$? and fast

D00d.. be VEERRRRY careful! That's enough juice to plant your ass. It would suck to have one of our members bite it just because of a mod.

Let me see if I understand this right. If you hook the green wire up to a ground to close the circuit, it comes on momentarily. But if you touch the wires together and then disconnect them, everything runs normally until you reconnect the wires or turn the PSU switch to the off position? Methinks you have the wrong wires connected. Double check everything and try again if you want. Again, be VERY CAREFUL.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by sgtm View Post
    D00d.. be VEERRRRY careful! That's enough juice to plant your ass. It would suck to have one of our members bite it just because of a mod.

Let me see if I understand this right. If you hook the green wire up to a ground to close the circuit, it comes on momentarily. But if you touch the wires together and then disconnect them, everything runs normally until you reconnect the wires or turn the PSU switch to the off position? Methinks you have the wrong wires connected. Double check everything and try again if you want. Again, be VERY CAREFUL.
    yeah i know, i'm being as careful as possible.

If i hook the green wire to ground to close the circuit, then it comes on VERY momentarily. Then, i have to unplug all power from it, and then reconnect power and when i try to turn it back on, then it repeats the same thing.

However, if the PSU is open, if i detatch the wires and re-attatch them very quickly it operates fine until you stop attatching/reattatching them.

I'm pretty sure it's not the wrong wire, because i hotwired the wires before i took it apart and it didn't have this problem. But when i traced the connections back i made sure i had the same wire i originally used. I'm 99.99 percent sure it's the right wire.

What else could possibly cause it?

rest in peace mate GT40_GearHead's Avatar

from what you are tellling us it may have a short some where

LOUD AND PROUD !

Overclocked

Actually, you'll never be able to shutdown your computer, right?

Oh wait, if you are lucky your Windows will still shutdown himself without pressing any power buttons, and you'll have to switch it back off/on.

Anodized

I would go with what Slitherock said... put in a three way switch (ON(A)/OFF/ON(B), an ON(A)/ON(B) switch would also do but I'm not even sure if they exixt, just an ON/OFF switch would NOT do for this). Make the ON(A) go to the motherboard (just like if you had not modified the power supply) and the ON(B) go to the ground wire in the power supply.

To run the computer put the switch to ON(A) and to have the computer off but still run other things (guessing that this is what you are trying to accomplish here) Put the switch to ON(B)

ATX Mental Case

Guys please cut the sarcasm.

This isn't even going to be powering a computer. So please don't advise me on three way switches and how to power the motherboard or anything.

Any other ideas? It might be a short, but i have no idea where it could have occured. All of the cut wires aren't touching anything.

Overclocked

Oh... if we would know in which project it was going, maybe it could be more easy to help you??

And, you never thought about doing a test PSU? Or you absolutely need using the rear PSU switch?

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Nagoshi View Post
    Oh... if we would know in which project it was going, maybe it could be more easy to help you??

And, you never thought about doing a test PSU? Or you absolutely need using the rear PSU switch?
    Absolutely need the rear PSU switch.

I don't think what i'm going to use this for would matter.......... I cut off the atx cord and hotwired it to work simply by toggling the back PSU switch. What i'm going to use it for has nothing to do with the problem