Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is wrong with my power supply??

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: What is wrong with my power supply??

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    Some PSUs require a minimum load, but I have powered up ATX ones with the green-black thing and they stayed on for me.
    well i have a hard drive hooked up, and still the same thing

really starting to tick me off

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Dem Pyros View Post
    well i have a hard drive hooked up, and still the same thing

really starting to tick me off
    Try a fan or a cd-rom, I am not sure if a hard drive start up without a command from the bios.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by DRece View Post
    Try a fan or a cd-rom, I am not sure if a hard drive start up without a command from the bios.
    .........i'm goona have to say negative for that, cuz i've had this hard drive spin up without being connected to a computer before

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Dem Pyros View Post
    .........i'm goona have to say negative for that, cuz i've had this hard drive spin up without being connected to a computer before
    ya your right, I just tested the set up with a hard drive myself and find the same as what did, that it can work with a hard drive.

OK, let take a deep breath and go through the steps again.

1 the power supply was taken out of a working machine and was noted that it was in itself working.

2 You followed an online guide on how to make a stand alone psu and found the proper green and black wire on the atx connecter.

3 You cut the proper green and black wire and tape them or some sort of fashion that those were the wires to use.

4 You than cut down the access wires or you used some sort of fashion to have them out of the way.

5 You than proceeded to strip and connected the green and black wire to a switch or just temp connected them thus having a switch in place somehow( because that is what makes them stand alone by having your own switch in place of the motherboard).

6 Than you proceed to connecting a device (cdrom, hd, whatever) and than plugging in the psu that you modded and while it is on and plugged in you connected the green and black and kept them connected by twisting them together thus creating a switch on effect but in the end you got nothing

Is this all correct?

ATX Mental Case

ya your right, I just tested the set up with a hard drive myself and find the same as what did, that it can work with a hard drive.

OK, let take a deep breath and go through the steps again.

1 the power supply was taken out of a working machine and was noted that it was in itself working.

2 You followed an online guide on how to make a stand alone psu and found the proper green and black wire on the atx connecter.

3 You cut the proper green and black wire and tape them or some sort of fashion that those were the wires to use.

4 You than cut down the access wires or you used some sort of fashion to have them out of the way.

5 You than proceeded to strip and connected the green and black wire to a switch or just temp connected them thus having a switch in place somehow( because that is what makes them stand alone by having your own switch in place of the motherboard).

6 Than you proceed to connecting a device (cdrom, hd, whatever) and than plugging in the psu that you modded and while it is on and plugged in you connected the green and black and kept them connected by twisting them together thus creating a switch on effect but in the end you got nothing

Is this all correct?

yes, with the exception of having a switch there yet (why install a switch if it won't turn on)

but essentially yes

ATX Mental Case

I guess it has a short in it, like it was sad before.

ATX Mental Case

I guess it has a short in it, like it was sad before.
    but here's what kills me.

Where could the short possible be? All wire ends are tied up and the PSU still hasn't been opened

Try plugging it in without the green-black short, then making the connection. That might make a difference, although I don't know why...

Funny things, power supplies.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree View Post
    Try plugging it in without the green-black short, then making the connection. That might make a difference, although I don't know why...

Funny things, power supplies.
    nope, doesn't at all

Well, from all the evidence, it does appear that you may have damaged it somehow. If you have, and do need to get another, just get an AT one this time, and save yourself all the bother (unless you really need 3.3V).