Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vista Not A OSX Ripoff!

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Vista Not A OSX Ripoff!

Its becasue of Mac's EFI being incompatible with Microsoft's BIOS. Although Apple's Bootcamp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ aparently deals with this problem.

As far as I can make out. Bootcamp can't handle Vista yet, but it has been done through other means.

Quote Originally Posted by ReignInPain View Post
    I like both OS's. Microsoft for its Compatability, Mac for its superior Graphics, and (more important to me) Sound quality. I await the day when I can sucessfully run both Systems on one Machine.
    I have a system older than my friends Mac and both my sound _and_ graphics blow his away. I also spent half of what he did on his g5 (think that is his model, I am not a MACificianado). It used to be that the MAC was superior, but that day is long gone. PC's have caught up and surpassed the mac's in both of these aspects. Ok That said, the MAC is still the platform of choice for recording studio's.

Oh and BTW, both Apple AND M$ _borrowed_ most of their windows ideas from the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center where both the mouse and "windowing" environment was invented/discovered. Originally called WIMP (Windows, Icons, Menus and Pointers). There was a lawsuit many many years ago where Apple tried to sue M$ for stealing their idea. The judge was tech savvy enough to know they were both full of **** and threw the case out.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

You know what, **** them both
    Lets use Linux?
    Announcing: Project ******* (Soon)
    EXAC Will cease to exist due to me finally getting a new rig! BUT I will mod the new case ;P

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Linux might be fine for the technicaly inclined but i honestly don't think its ready for the average user. Given the choice id use something more refined. Although im sure in the next four years ill be getting very comfortable with it in college.

Im not saying Linux is bad and ill admit Ive never gotten in to it that much, but from what i hear its just not that polished. The typical user doesn't know how to work in a command line, or even want to for that matter. Ive also heard that its media functions are lacking (I could be wrong, and in fact id love for you to prove me wrong because i want to build a box for holding all of my music in some sort of lossless format and the operating system doesn't need to be anything fancy... just something to hold my files and have the ability to rip music from a cd and play it at a decent level of quality)

Plus... I don't know... I'm not against open source... but some times i get this vibe that some of these pro open source people think that EVERYTHING should be open source and free. Don't get me wrong I think open source has its place, and its a good movement, but I honestly don't see anything wrong with a company turning a profit from its work. Heck... I even think they deserve it. No matter how bad people may say OS X or Windows is, people did put work in to it and they deserve to be payed... Maybe not three hundred bucks a pop... but they still deserve something.

Again... I'm not anti open source, and I'm not trying to offend anyone here. Just my point of view as a Capitalist and hopefully a future software developer.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

some of these pro open source people think that EVERYTHING should be open source and free.
    About 80% of them do. If you want to work for free, by all means, I'm up for it. Just don't expect me to as well. (Unless it's for TBCS, which i'm happy to slave away for. You guys rock!)

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I think Vista and Mac OSX on the same machine is actually going to be a semi good thing. I'm not a mac person, but I love the idea of having both OSs (not in the case of me where I have no use for macs) on the same machine, and if the interfaces are similar, then it's going to be easier for the average mac user to use vista! (Average mac user has troubles using windows).

But either way, I think the similarities were only brought up so someone could start a flame war. Think about it, does it matter if they look the same? Shouldn't it be the fact that it does what you want it to? But if you want my opinion, when I do upgrade to vista, I'm turning off the gadgets, waste of desktop space to me.

ATX Mental Case

If you get Parallels you can switch instantly between Windows/OSX (boot camp needs a restart). In the case of a MacBook Pro with the right add on you can slap the side of the laptop and it will switch between the two.

There are rumours that the release of the newest Mac OS in a month or so will include this, but I'm not sure.

I'm trying to convince my boss to get me a black MacBook so I can run both, it's a great price for a small laptop (ok, the white one would be cheaper, but I don't like it). And then I can get a sexy MacStyle
    m4gnum.com/tardis/ - Doctor Who inspired case

ATX Mental Case

I love the black MacBooks, they just look so damn good! What MacStyle would you get?

@ luciusad2004: I've been playing with Linux off and on over the last few weeks. Check out Fedora, or even easier, Ubuntu. Both of those can also be run as a web server. Not bad for free. BTW, they have GUI's. Keep in mind, that the computers I use most often have Windows XP, and 1 has Vista. I've just been experimenting with Linux because I've heard so much about it.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=ubuntu
    http://linux-noob.com/review/fedora/...mages/fcr5.png

wow areo in vista inst even that cool. I just looked it up its really not worth a $600 gfx card for it.