• ATI

17 31.48%
  • Nvidia

37 68.52%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ATI Vs. Nvidia

Life is like an analogy...

Default Re: ATI Vs. Nvidia

i dont really have a preference either way, but ill tell you my observations.

nvidia is releasing their cards first. ati is answering with slightly more power. at the end of each generation, ati is left with the last and generally most powerful card on a per-GPU basis (meaning single GPU ati card vs single GPU nvidia card). the geforce 7 and x1000 series was a strange match up because we were looking at the 7950 vs the x1950 at the top end, and thats dual GPU vs single GPU which isnt a "fair" comparison. i think if you compared the x1950 to the best single GPU card of the 7 series, ati wins.

another thing to consider is the release dates of cards. seeming as nvidia gets started first, and ati has the top spot in the very end, it depends on what sort of performance lead you want and for how long. for example, you can get an 8800 now and be uncontested for a while, or you can wait until the end when ati brings out the x2950 i suppose it would be and that would keep you on top until the 9800 comes out from nvidia. so the biggest difference here is the time of release, but another side note to that would be that the first one out would be uncontested and therefore unproven in battle (and will assuredly be beaten), whereas the last one out would have the definite crown of the generation (assuming it does in fact beat everything else) and will only be beaten by the next generation of cards.

you know what? i dont even know what my original point was now... i cant even finish this idea train. ive derailed myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Sunshine Flavored Lollipops Zephik's Avatar

This is why I go with ATI at the end of the day... granted you have to wait while your friends rub it in your face, but its worth it. ^_^

http://www.short-media.com/extendednews.php?n=5447
    People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Thanks guys, rub it in. Whiskey, Whiskey, everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

I come from a land down under. simon275's Avatar

The votes are tied 11 each way.

I Was thinking the main battles the two companies fight is actually in the mid range card section rather then the top end. While the top end cards are the most publicized few people buy them due to the large financial burden.

Most people buy midrange cards so NV and ATI try and get the best bang for buck. In these stakes I believe ATI is currently on top only just though.

Also ATI is going to be putting out some new revolutionary hardware in a couple of years now they have been bought by ATI.
    Need a sig

Crap I was a swing vote. Nvidia 12 || ATI 11

Personally I've used both, Nvidia less than ATI. I've had a few problems with my last 2 ATI cards, and so now I'm using Nvidia. I really love both companies, but currently I use Nvidia.

The way I see it, and others have mentioned this, Nvidia gets the product out the door fastest. ATI gets the power, but you have to be patient. Both are respectable companies with a fine line of products.

Quote Originally Posted by simon275 View Post
    Also ATI is going to be putting out some new revolutionary hardware in a couple of years now they have been bought by ATI.
    *AMD
    I'm always on the fence for products as both ATI vs Nvidia or AMD vs Intel are really split down the middle. One year a company may be "better" than the other, but I will never be a hardcore fanboy and say "Yarhh me never be using the ATI". I look forward to seeing new ATI products as much as I look forward to AMD quad/octo-core. Right now I would put Intel and Nvidia ahead technologically, but that doesn't mean it's over for the competition. It's because of the competition that we have speedy advances in any field!

As Dave Chapelle once said, "Coke and Pepsi are the same, and I've done commercials for both. Pepsi paid me last, so... drink Pepsi!"

Why's all the rum gone?

Welder Of Aluminum bartvandenberg's Avatar

i vote nvidia, because not matter what card has more power, you can always count on nvidia to have there drivers in order. id rather lose 2 fps and have the card work all the time with everything than have the freakin' aggravation of finding a driver that works for this game, and then a patch for this game, and this app doenst work properly, and it only runs on this resolution... and so on and so forth. so.. nvidia wins for me everytime.

ATX Mental Case

nVidia 4 life

A proud member of the 1st Serbian Modding organisation :: CASE - freaks ::

Visit our modest web page: CASE - freaks

I agree nivida pushes ahead once again

CAN YOU WIN PLAYER OF THE WEEK!!!
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/tbcs

I have never owned an NVIDIA card, not because I don't like them but more like find a brand and stick with it until a need arises to swap mentality. So I have no refence to compare. I will say that in my experience with ATI: tech support is somewhat frustrating in the early stages, but have always come through at the end even if it means replacing the card (which I'm sure was not under warranty). ATI has had a dazzling approach to marketing, if you spent any amount of time reading the stuff on their website and looking at the pretty pictures you usually are foaming at the mouth for the latest and greatest GPU they are building. But historically they have had some weaknesses in delivery, it's either late, not quite as promised initially, or lacks proper driver support. But having said that, they do eventually get it worked out and the cards run great. As for quality, again I can't compare but I run two 1900's in Crossfire and it was a jaw-dropper. Granted it was hell getting the damn thing to work, but since then BF2 is mesmorizing.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

ATX Mental Case

This is a debate that will never be won by either side! Each have Pro's and Con's, each have loyal followers, and likewise 'haters'. Quite interesting to see how Nvidia just seems to pull ahead though. I'd like to see this poll on a bigger scale.