Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: Project R2-D2 PC

Default Re: Project R2-D2 PC

Lol, that would be cool

Fresh Paint

I have a few suggestions/tips for your project. There is an entire society of people who make their own full size, fully functional R2 droids. They have lots of pictures, tutorials, blueprints, etc on their website http://astromech.net The "official diameter of R2D2 is 18.25 inches. But you can purchase an 18 inch squirrell baffle that would work great for your dome. As for 2 or 3 leg position, you could do both if you set your Hard Drives on a pivotable mount that allows you to keep them either horizontal or vertical. You could make the third (middle) leg detachable. If you wanted to go absolutely overboard, you could make the radar Eye (the main black lens) retractable to reveal a portable projetor. (THE ULTIMATE HTPC). In case you haven't guessed, I have been working on my own R2-D2 PC. (Scaled down to 15inch diameter) I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Lol, u mean you'll be 'sharing' ideas... lol j/j...
    It'll be great to see how different minds and approaches can alter the same style mod.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Memnon
    I have a few suggestions/tips for your project. There is an entire society of people who make their own full size, fully functional R2 droids. They have lots of pictures, tutorials, blueprints, etc on their website http://astromech.net The "official diameter of R2D2 is 18.25 inches. But you can purchase an 18 inch squirrell baffle that would work great for your dome. As for 2 or 3 leg position, you could do both if you set your Hard Drives on a pivotable mount that allows you to keep them either horizontal or vertical. You could make the third (middle) leg detachable. If you wanted to go absolutely overboard, you could make the radar Eye (the main black lens) retractable to reveal a portable projetor. (THE ULTIMATE HTPC). In case you haven't guessed, I have been working on my own R2-D2 PC. (Scaled down to 15inch diameter) I'll be watching this thread with great interest.
    if you have started your R2D2 project. I am sure a lot of us would like to see a project log of it as well I will follow your link when I get home just in case it is there.

I also like the Idea of using the projector as the eye. Closes thing we have today to a 3d Holigraphic Projector (at least in a normals person price range).

Water Cooled

I second that motion
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

You can get a holagraphic keyboard, that might be nice.

Projects the key's to a flat surface and senses where you touch.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

This thread is the worklog. I'm getting the cooler by mail any day now. Once I have it I'll start taking pics. I had a projector, but gave it away in a contest at TwistedForums and I'm not gonna buy another.

Overclocked

saw this in an other forum and again will say i am excited to see how this turns out.
    Mesh makes the world go around!!!!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Some disappointing news. The seller I purchased the cooler said there are structural problems not mentioned earlier, so I am not getting it. I will be going to a couple of stores and see what I can find in the trash can area. I've seen some nice round 96 gallon plastic garbage cans before and think that maybe I can make it work. The legs for R2 will be about the hardest to create so I've printed out the specs and will be having them made by a plastics shop. For both legs to be made it'll be less than $100.00. I'll let you know what's going on with this mod soon.

Anodized

Where do you live TheGreatSatan? I think my Dad has one of those coolers in his basement. If your interested I can see if he still has it.