Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Vista

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Default Re: Microsoft Vista

Cool thanks for that .Maleficus., I've got a few more months 2 wate until my perchase so I will keep this thread open for any changes.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    No more talk of piracy or cracking. Especially you Ronyx, this is the second time i've had to delete one your posts.

-Dave
    wow really? strike 2, ok soz. i'll try not to post that stuff.
    but still... i know what i know
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 // Asus P5N32-E SLI //
    2G OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper HPC // nVidia GeForce GTS 250 //
    Logitech X-530 // Seasonic 650W PSU // 24" Samsung 2493HM

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Whith all that said about Piracy and all that. Is there any difference between The OEM Version or the full version?

I'm not all for piracy but if I can get anything cheeper or even for free i'm up for that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The boy 4rm oz View Post
    Whith all that said about Piracy and all that. Is there any difference between The OEM Version or the full version?

I'm not all for piracy but if I can get anything cheeper or even for free i'm up for that lol.
    You're almost talking about the same thing there. There are 3 types.

OEM - What your average Joe uses. It's what you can buy in stores and order online. From there, you have a full version (for a blank disk) or an upgrade (to upgrade from a previous version of Windows). You get 1 license, single use

Volume License - I think these start at 10 licenses and more. Basically, you have 1 CD Key, but a certain amount of times you can use and activate that license. Once that limit is reached, you will have to purchase additional licenses.

MSDN - I get kinda shady here.. MSDN is Microsoft Developer Network. This is subscription based, and renewed every year. Depending on your subscription level, you have a certian number of activations as with the volume license, but if you choose not to renew the subscription the following year, then you can no longer use the product, and will have to purchase a regular license. (If I'm wrong on this, someone please correct me.)

Isn't there a "Retail" version as well? I thought you could buy the Retail version, and have like 2 activations without having to buy the Volume License one.
    RIP Bucko

Overclocked

yeah, pretty sure there's a retail version, the OEM version you can only install on machines that you have built (i.e. not bought from a large vendor) it's something like that anyway.

apparently upgrading to vista from their disks is fairly easy. (i have a friend who does that sort of thing as a job, how mundane!) although the upgrade is easy, it's far quicker to fresh install your new os.

tbh I don't think i'll bother with vista just yet until they get the driver issues sorted and probably SP1 released. there's gonna be some nasty bugs in this what is essentially a beta release.
    sorry about the sig size ppl!
    ==================================
    AMD x2 64 5000+ windsor
    asus crosshair
    asus x1950xtx
    2gb OCZ platinum
    ==================================

That's classified.

Retail = CD + Box + some paper saying "Thanks for buying" :p

OEM = CD only

Who doesn't want a box? lol

EDIT: I can't seem to find my "Vista Ultimate" picture.

OEM != Retail

The M$ license states that you can only purchase an OEM copy of Windows _with_ a new system. This is the disc that comes with your Dell or other "vendor configured" system. If you delve into the license, you will find that a "pre-configured" system has a minimum set of parts (mobo, cpu, ram, ps) that _must_ accompany the OEM disk, _and_ the key label _must_ be physically applied to the case or mobo before you get it.

This OEM package also contains a disc that has programs on it that allow you to _unlicense_ a system. Basically what this allows you to do is to install everything on the computer you or your customer needs, then when you are done and ready to ship or deliver the system you run this utility and it removes the license key, _un-reads_ the EULA and un-activates the OS (if you activated it). You can also have it insert a couple of files that get run at boot time to inform your customer of some piece of info, like the starting screen on a Dell that tells you the factory service code. When your customer powers on the system for the first time they must accept the EULA (it is a violation of the M$ OEM license agreement for the vendor to accept this agreement on the user's behalf), then enter the key and activate the system. It is also a violation of the OEM license to distribute this "extra" cd to an end user that is not covered by your OEM license.

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/sblicense/OPK/default.mspx

This disk also contains some utilities to setup a M$ network install program, that you can customize per computer, per customer or ad-hock. For instance, one of our customers orders Dell 690's from us, we then wipe the HD and install Windows Server 2003 x64 (which Dell will NOT install or support on these systems). I am working on the network install so that all you do is enter the systems MAC address into a file on my M$ install server, and boot the 690 from a CD or floppy, the M$ network install determines what OS configuration and off it goes. When it is done, I enter the license key, do my burn in tests and then un_configure the system.

I am in the process of re-creating our network install server and I will log everything I do, snap some pics and possibly post a tutorial if there is any interest (doing this for 3 different systems).
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by klingelton View Post

I don't think i'll bother with vista just yet until they get the driver issues sorted and probably SP1 released. there's gonna be some nasty bugs in this what is essentially a beta release.
    I agree, I don't think the performance issue is nearly as big of a deal as the driver crisis going on right now (for 64 bit in particular). I don't think you should buy any version until they release the drivers that will enable you to use it. If you get vista right now, there is a chance your hardware and pretty much any plug and play device won't work.