Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Please assist me in Linux Installation.

Default Re: Please assist me in Linux Installation.

I'm glad to hear Ubuntu is running for you. Are you dual booting now? I'm gonna be taking on a dual boot with XP Pro and Fedora 6 or Ubuntu tomorrow night.

No, I'm not dual booting.

I had enough messing about with Grub already.... besides, I haven't got the HDD space for it (still running with a mahoooooosive 8gb....).

Perhaps I'll have a go when I get a bigger drive.. and I've got nothing to do for a few days......

Oh, and another working PC so I can get help..

Why Fedora 6? And what's the main difference between the Distros? The main one I found was that Knoppix seems to run a lot faster than Ubuntu - and of course it looks different (Knoppix was, for me at least, prettier).

Are you going to try out Beryl or Compiz? I'd like to, but I just haven't got the graphics power. Gotta be a good way to bugger up a fresh install...

The _main_ reason I use fedora is hardware support. Fedora will support more hardware than almost any other distro (including the ones you buy from Redhat). Redhat uses fedora almost like a beta version of it's OS. Throw the support for new hardware in fedora, tweak it based on user feedback, then when the drivers are stable, integrate them into RedHat enterprise linux and sell to customers...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Quote Originally Posted by Airbozo View Post
    You guys are wimps! My first Gentoo install took 3 days! About one whole day just to get things going, hands on the keyboard...
    Too bad Airbozo, looks like I've got you beat. My first one (and only one) took a week; about 6 individual installs, all removed, and reinstalled, because I couldn't get it to boot. When I edited my fstab, I didn't realize the /dev/BOOT, etc. lines were uncommented, and I wrote the entire thing under it, leaving the /dev/BOOT lines, and since they were higher in the file, they got read, and, well, Gentoo doesn't like reading made up stuff. I got it working yesterday, and I'm working on getting all of my Xfce stuff how I want. It did teach me a lot about how Linux actually operates though .
    RIP Bucko

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus. View Post
    Too bad Airbozo, looks like I've got you beat. My first one (and only one) took a week; about 6 individual installs, all removed, and reinstalled, because I couldn't get it to boot. When I edited my fstab, I didn't realize the /dev/BOOT, etc. lines were uncommented, and I wrote the entire thing under it, leaving the /dev/BOOT lines, and since they were higher in the file, they got read, and, well, Gentoo doesn't like reading made up stuff. I got it working yesterday, and I'm working on getting all of my Xfce stuff how I want. It did teach me a lot about how Linux actually operates though .
    Which stage did you use?

For the fastest kernel, stage 1 is the ONLY way to go, but it should come with a bottle of tums.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Stage3. I read that Stage1 wasn't any different than Stage3, except it takes longer. And any longer than a week and I would have killed myself.
    RIP Bucko

That's what linux is all about....

People talking in fluent geek while the rest of us mere mortals look on in utter dumbfoundedness.

That's why I like Ubuntu, It seems to be no worse than DOS, and that's only when summat goes wrong (touch wood, not yet.... all going scarily smoothly.....)