Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive Water Cooling

Default Re: Hard Drive Water Cooling

Yeh, he was talkin about this in another thread... that he was going to have 12 scuzzy drives. I still dont think that warrents water cooling though... And why are heatpipes out of the question btw?

Case Wizard

Only systems I have with more than 4 HD in are High End servers. If I was using 12 SCSI drives I would just get an external Drive cage and wire them up with 120mm fans, and have them in a Server Room that is kepts at 65 Degrees or lower.

I can hear some *Cough* BS *Cough* going on.

Water Cooled

yeah, what kind of mod involves 12 hdds? That sounds like an enterprise server. (enterprise in a business sense not star trek, kiddies) I think modding a functional server is absurd. at least a production server. It would most likely hinder functionality.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Water Cooled

watercooling 12hds will cost you way too much money. to answer ure question, i dont know which method is better since i havent looked for reviews, but im sure you can find some.

I agree... even heatspreaders which mount properly to the drives will be hella expenisve... then getting enough water flow through it with pumps, and you'll need to use fans to cool the water anyway...

The idea behind WC is to just get the heat away from the source as quick as possible... and water does that nicely... on a low heat item such as a HDD, heatpipes should suffice. Tho i spose we cant tell you not to do your mod... i just think its totally pointless.

The reason I don't want to do heatpipes is because of their size.
    Expense doesn't matter.

And this isn't for business. This is for personal use. I want to be able to archive large amounts of info without data loss. This is why I'm going with a scsi raid setup.

If I'm willing to spend the money on scsi & a hardware raid card, I think that wc won't be that big of a deal.

As for functionality, I want it to work properly and I want my drives to last as long as possible because of their cost.

Doing a temp controlled room would be easier, I'm sure, but not as much fun.

A 15k rpm scsi drive running 24/7 gets hot. If you don't agree, then you've never pulled a drive running for more than 3 weeks without a break.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nil8
    The reason I don't want to do heatpipes is because of their size.
    Expense doesn't matter.

And this isn't for business. This is for personal use. I want to be able to archive large amounts of info without data loss. This is why I'm going with a scsi raid setup.

If I'm willing to spend the money on scsi & a hardware raid card, I think that wc won't be that big of a deal.

As for functionality, I want it to work properly and I want my drives to last as long as possible because of their cost.

Doing a temp controlled room would be easier, I'm sure, but not as much fun.

A 15k rpm scsi drive running 24/7 gets hot. If you don't agree, then you've never pulled a drive running for more than 3 weeks without a break.
    I know SCSI Drives get hot. I have a couple of servers at home and I work with them on a normal bais. I use them a heaters in the winter

I guess I would look at the two methods and let us know witch one you choose. I would also thing that adding water cooling to them would make it harder for HOT swappable drives. That is a big point for my RS/6000 Servers I have at home.

Water Cooled

only the waterblocks for the hd's would cost you around $600 (12x$50). plus you would need the rest of the cooling parts. you wouldnt save much space because most hd waterblocks act as a 3.5 to 5.25 adapters, or occupy an other 3.5 slot on top. in the end you would be looking at 12x5.25" or 24x 3.5" drivebays. i dont know what you plan for the case, but if you build it yourself, you could design something with good aircooling focusing on the hard drives. anyways i dont want to hold you back from anything, if you want 12 watercooled hard drives, you will do it anyways.

Water Cooled

the water cooled one has spoken
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Lol, we gotta catch up to him Zeus!
    Then we can bestow watercooled wisdom unto others too!