Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I make a PSU smaller?

ATX Mental Case

Default How can I make a PSU smaller?

I have had started a thread about a macintosh IIcx case and one of the ideas of fitting things into this smaller area is the psu. I often hear and see of ppl modding the psu to be in a smaller box. With this in mind, I prop my two questions.

Could I put the guts of a 350w psu into a casing half the size?

or

Could I let my 350w psu go in the nude within the case, as long as it remains seperate from other stuff ( modo and various cards) ?

Water Cooled

Default Re: How can I make a PSU smaller?

why don't you just get a smaller pwr supply to begin with? I have seen SFF pwr supplies of 350w that are fairly small
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Water Cooled

- Unknown

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    why don't you just get a smaller pwr supply to begin with? I have seen SFF pwr supplies of 350w that are fairly small
    Because Im cheap, cheap, cheap bastard who wants to use the 350w that came with centurion 5 case that is being modded. Also, just imagine the other better parts I could buy with the price of that psu, like fans or cables.

Water Cooled

there are very serious implications when it comes to working with the internals of a power supply. I am nowhere near qualified to help you there. I know there are other modders on this forum that are very savvy about electricals systems that can tell you what and how you can do this safely. I can tell you that the capacitors in a power supply can hold a strong enough charge to severely injure or kill you. Even long after it has been unplugged.

More experienced help, you will need. Beyond my knowledge, you have gone!!
    - Unknown

ATX Mental Case

That would be a good solution to the psu problem if I wanted to spend the money and it wasnt so long. Space saving goes by hieght, width, and length on my part. I consider this case a shuttle-like desktop machine or somewhere close.

ATX Mental Case

there are very serious implications when it comes to working with the internals of a power supply. I am nowhere near qualified to help you there. I know there are other modders on this forum that are very savvy about electricals systems that can tell you what and how you can do this safely. I can tell you that the capacitors in a power supply can hold a strong enough charge to severely injure or kill you. Even long after it has been unplugged.

Thanks again for the help Zeus, anyways. Like the star wars reference.

Also, Thanks for being up this late.

Yeh, cheers Yoda.

Water Cooled

DRece: you wont reduce a psu to half of its size. most psus dont have much room left in them and they are very packed in the inside. you could take the cover off and use it like that, but you would risk burning your house. if you dont have the money for a smaller powersupply, and cant have a standard atx psu in ure mod, i suggest changing your design because you will not reduce the size of it(max 1cm a side if your brave and lucky). yeah and once you open the psu, you void your warranty.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    DRece: you wont reduce a psu to half of its size. most psus dont have much room left in them and they are very packed in the inside. you could take the cover off and use it like that, but you would risk burning your house. if you dont have the money for a smaller powersupply, and cant have a standard atx psu in ure mod, i suggest changing your design because you will not reduce the size of it(max 1cm a side if your brave and lucky). yeah and once you open the psu, you void your warranty.
    Thank you for giving me the info i was afraid to hear, the warrenty was not the issue but I didnt really put the necessary smarts into the fact that I could take down my home with the mod.

Would a psu outside a case be a bad look? I am modding a Macintosh IIcx and using what I have to do it with. Could I perhaps steath the psu to look like something else? Any suggestions on that mod? I was look for a way to do that and make it easier to mod as well as cool it easier.