Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 64 bit Proc in a 32 bit World . . .

ATX Mental Case

Default The 64 bit Proc in a 32 bit World . . .

Ok, so I have gotten this latest processor and matched the requirements for supporting it ( well except the operating system ) that needs to support it. But I feel it lacks its power, and I don't mean that " Its a 64-bit proc in a 32-bit oper sys, what do you expect? " or a similar question of " Did you really think that a athlon xp 2400+ wouldn't match the proc power of a amd 64 3500+ ?".

I think that when I hear of a FX-55 being used by others in this forum that they know of some tweaks to be done in XP pro sp2 32-bit that I do not. Or do the FX-55 users just suck up the lost that there FX-55 is barely better than 32-bit proc for right now? Or could it be the 1MB cache on the FX-55 that make them worth buying?

Case Wizard

Default Re: The 64 bit Proc in a 32 bit World . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DRece
    Ok, so I have gotten this latest processor and matched the requirements for supporting it ( well except the operating system ) that needs to support it. But I feel it lacks its power, and I don't mean that " Its a 64-bit proc in a 32-bit oper sys, what do you expect? " or a similar question of " Did you really think that a athlon xp 2400+ wouldn't match the proc power of a amd 64 3500+ ?".

I think that when I hear of a FX-55 being used by others in this forum that they know of some tweaks to be done in XP pro sp2 32-bit that I do not. Or do the FX-55 users just suck up the lost that there FX-55 is barely better than 32-bit proc for right now? Or could it be the 1MB cache on the FX-55 that make them worth buying?
    1st Yes I would say the 1MB cache is worth it. It does help even in the 32bit world.

My 64Bit SLI system is set for Dual Booting. Windows for Games and Full SLI support. And Linux For 64Bit programming and speed but limited to Single Graphics Card (SLI is not support under X).

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Malatory
    1st Yes I would say the 1MB cache is worth it. It does help even in the 32bit world.

My 64Bit SLI system is set for Dual Booting. Windows for Games and Full SLI support. And Linux For 64Bit programming and speed but limited to Single Graphics Card (SLI is not support under X).
    So is a non-fx amd64 chip worth having in a 32-bit world?

Water Cooled

i wouldnt say its a 32bit world because it is adopting quickly. the fx chips are good because their core architecture, faster memory controlling and all the features they have. once programmers adopt 64bit completely, everything will be faster. in other words, if you dont want to upgrade anytime soon, get a 64bit proc, if you will upgrade within 6 months or so and dont have the money for them right now, dont worry about it, get an XP 3200+

Case Wizard

So is a non-fx amd64 chip worth having in a 32-bit world?
    I have a 3500+ and it does better than my old 2.4b system .. I am sure alot of it has to do with the Video card and SLI stuff.

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by Malatory
    I have a 3500+ and it does better than my old 2.4b system .. I am sure alot of it has to do with the Video card and SLI stuff.
    What vid cards are in your sli setup?

Overclocked

Hello, this is technology speaking, where have you been for the past couple months? It's not exactly a 32-bit world anymore. Linux and WindowsXP 64-bit edition have been available for a good while now, as well as Far Cry 64. Windows Longhorn will no doubt be a 64-bit OS, and goodness knows what other 64-bit programs are in the pipeline. Face it, 32-bit days are nearing the end of the line. It's just like the old 16-to-32-bit transition days.
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by MisterChief
    Hello, this is technology speaking, where have you been for the past couple months? It's not exactly a 32-bit world anymore. Linux and WindowsXP 64-bit edition have been available for a good while now, as well as Far Cry 64. Windows Longhorn will no doubt be a 64-bit OS, and goodness knows what other 64-bit programs are in the pipeline. Face it, 32-bit days are nearing the end of the line. It's just like the old 16-to-32-bit transition days.
    Oh ya, my system was made to adapt to up coming changes. But its just the fact that I was wanting to be able to play half life 2 with it stuttering every minute or so. Its like some little voice in my head ( no I don't talk to voices in my head though they say some nice things ) saying that "Sure its a 64-bit system in a TEMPERARY 32-bit world but you should have a little more edge to it. "

Well if anyone wonders why I could be asking this question, I have gotten this system new a month ago and here are the specs:

Silverstone Zeus 650w psu (model no. ST65ZF)
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
    Amd 64 3500+ processor
    Thermalright xp-90c heatsink
    Kingston HyperX PC3200 DDR400 512MB x 2 (Daul channel enabled)
    Gigabyte 3D1 video card (2 6600GT GPU on one card) (SLI enabled)
    (Using Onboard audio)
    Cpu temp: 32-27c Both GPU temps: 53-50c

I am new to the 64 bit processor ( went from a 2400+ befor this one ) and I had have a friend who has been around the 64 bit proc alot has done alot to it. Of course, no one and know everything, so I turn to the forum for some hint or clue to fix. If not that I will wing it till it can get better drivers.

Overclocked

You need to realize that ust because it's a 64-bit proc dosen't mean it will run games smoothly, specifically HL2 (I don't have the stuttering problem, but that's because I tweaked the AutoExec.cfg file : go to www.tweakguides.com for more details. I love that site!). Anyways, HL2 is a 32-bit program, therefore it can't take advantage of the 64-bit architecture. AMD64s are better because of their design, not the fact that they are 64-bit procs.
    - AMD Athlon64 3200+@2.2Ghz | Gigabyte K8NSC-939 nForce3 250Gb | ASUS 6600GT 256MB |1GB Kingston ValueRAM

Case Wizard

What vid cards are in your sli setup?
    My system has 2 MSI NX 6600GT.

basic Rundown.
    AMD 3500+
    A8N SLI-Delux (Bois 1.08 applied).
    2 40 Gig PATA Drives.
    1 120 Seagate Sata w/NCQ
    NEC 3500A DVD-/+ R/RW/DL
    2 Gig Lo Lac Partiot Ram (Matched sets 4 sticks of 512)
    Antec Neo 480W
    Xp-90 W 92mm VanteC Fac.
    19" NEC Flat Screen Monitor (Still Prefer the CRT over LCD's).