Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastiroc -Sculpey Alternative

Default Plastiroc -Sculpey Alternative

I am working on a non-modding project which is about 2 foot tall. I typically like using Sculpey but based on the size it wasn't practical. Enter Giotto Plastiroc. It's a paper clay that has its uses.

Plastiroc has the consistency of stiff play doh (about like plasticine and wetter than sculpey) but shears like it has paper pulp in it. Running it through my pasta machine took some trial and error but at the largest setting it went through ok after kneading it flat.

Working it was was easy. As it's water based, you can cut it and clean up with water. I used a set of wire loop sculpting tools. It smooths very cleanly with a water spray bottle and slight finger pressure.

The downside to it is that is doesn't have very much structural strength. An 1/8" sheet breaks like fired ceramic clay (about half the force, or less, required to break Sculpey clay). It does shrink and I noticed cracking for long thin pieces but it fills quite easily and I had no problem putting multiple layers down once I wet the fill piece with water.

The upsides are that it sands almost like talc. I was loving it when I started cleaning up the sculpture. It takes texture well. Using a set of plastic texture plates I was able to lay down a fairly consistent texture.

It also takes color like paper does. When I get to painting, I'm going to experiment with an ink spray to keep as much of the texture as possible. Finally, it air dries in about 24 hours depending on the thickness. No baking required.

In summary, it's not a replacement for Sculpey but for large flat surfaces, like the side of a case, it is a decent alternative that doesn't require baking and is a little more forgiving than Bondo.

Oh yeah, the project is a gift box for a friend inspired by a Goby fish. The head lifts off to put the gift inside.

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Plastiroc -Sculpey Alternative

Ummm... You should maybe not use on a pc, since it breaks like ceramic, you could get some into the case and cause it break something important. Just doesn't sound like its too good of an idea, espically it may increase the heat inside.

Water Cooled

well, I don't think you would use if to build the case. Just on the outside of the case for effects. what is the weight consistency?
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
    - Unknown

Water Cooled

it looks pretty good. and to support Zeus, you dont use sculpey to build a side panel either, so making some shapes on the outside wont hurt anything. i would be happy to try it

Case Wizard

I wonder how it would handle epoxy hardner. Since it water based and paper like, you might be able to use an epoxy that is used in fiber glass to make it more durable. (Or Polyacrlic)

but I can see its usage if your not going for streight.

Granted I wouldn't build a HD enclosure out of it but on the outside of a case it could be useful. The weight ratio is light when dry...lighter than sculpey but that's splitting hairs as I wouldn't expect to use enough of either one on a case to make a real difference. I could certainly see using it for case texture like Rachel's AVP mod.

As far as epoxy goes, I'd coat it with a polyurethane or equivalent following painting but I'd opt for bondo before mixing epoxy into it. It'd just be too messy IMHO.

Case Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Mach
    As far as epoxy goes, I'd coat it with a polyurethane or equivalent following painting but I'd opt for bondo before mixing epoxy into it. It'd just be too messy IMHO.
    I was thinking the same thing.. Coating it after it dried (With either one) for more impact resistance. I used polyacrylic on my desk (Water Based Polyurethane) and levels out really well and creates a clear coat.

Mixing it into it. I would agree, to messy and your bound to get stuck to your work.

Overclocked

I would like to see how your project turns out painted and all. Nice find.

That sculpture is great! lol..I love the expression on the face. Thanks for sharing this material with us, I'm sure it will be useful

I'll post some pics when I get time to paint. It seems my work life keeps interfering with my personal life (hate when that happens )

Thanks Sky, glad I could add something to the mix.